Initial tank set-up pics

thbrewst

Market
Reaction score
After all of the help that I got here, I thought I would throw a few pics up of my set-up as it stands today. I still have a lot of work to do, but it has already been a lot of fun...

Picture of the tank without the canopy for the lights. It is a 175 Oceanic bowfront with 72" Hamilton fixture 4 96w PC, 3 MH. I have done zero aquascaping. This is where the rock ended up when I was 'throwing' in at first set-up. I actually don't hate it so I am living with it for a while to get a better vision of how I want to change it...

566823=26696-IMG00021-20100927-2233.jpg
>
566823=26696-IMG00021-20100927-2233.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG00021-20100927-2233.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

This is the sump. It is a 40g divided into ~1/3 segments, acrylic baffles and the return in the middle. Kevin from Warehouse Aquarium 'helped' with the plumbing (ie. he did it). 100 micron mesh socks on the 2 drains, and a Lifereef skimmer.

566823=26697-IMG00022-20100927-2234.jpg
>
566823=26697-IMG00022-20100927-2234.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG00022-20100927-2234.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

They grey thing under the sump is a shower liner that I put in (idea gained from this board, thanks all). I still need to attach it properly so it will 'hold water' should there be a leak.

Other things still on the to-do list...

- Hook up ReefKeeper and move the heater into the sump.
- Hook up ATO system. I am going to put a small'ish water repository in the stand (think ~13 gallons or so). MY RO/DI is about 50 feet away so I'll have to keep it filled up.
- Hook-up Calcium reactor
- Organize wiring before I electrocute myself
- Many other misc items (but I gather I will always have those :D )
- Aquascape
- Add corals and more fish

BTW, many thanks to Kevin for his plumbing assistance. I won't say that I could not have done it without him, but it certainly would not have been as professional or as fast.

Looking good!

Why not put the heater in one of the overflows? I always wondered why people don't use that wasted space...

weaglereefer;566826 wrote: Looking good!

Why not put the heater in one of the overflows? I always wondered why people don't use that wasted space...
Looks like you have put some planning in to this.:up:
Why do people put the heater in the display if you have a sump?

Looks good cant wait to see it in a few months from now. I agree heater to the sump...

I originally had mine in one of the overflows then moved it when I upgraded the sump - I was worried about the water in that overflow being too warm in case a critter got in there - and the funny things the warmer water grows...my overflow was packed with pineapple sponges at one point..

has anyone filled up their overfows with LR rubble?

In my case, it would just be one more thing that is in my way when I have to rescue a fish from the overflow. :doh:

Oh. I use an acrylic cover for my overflow, so catching critters has never been an issue for me...

grouper therapy;566836 wrote: Why do people put the heater in the display if you have a sump?

I have both. I don't know that I could keep my DT up to temp solely on a sump heater. Would like to hide the heater, but it's not really bugging me.

The spraybar for my filter however... That thing drives me insane and is a massive eyesore. I just have to replumb it to a nozzle head of some sort.

I have a 500w titanium heater that I am not using right now as it does not have a thermostat so requires the Reefkeeper. So for the short term I had a 300w Aqueon submersible that I threw in the tank. It is doing OK, but I would bet that it is straining to keep 200 gals of water up to temp. Luckily the MHs should be helping during the day.

I had not considered putting the heater in the overflow, but my immediate concern would be what was mentioned...What 'things' would grow in the overflow given the increased temp. I was going to put it in the return section of the sump, but I'm open to other suggestions. The overflow would certainly be closer to the tank and keep it out of the way.

weaglereefer;566873 wrote: Oh. I use an acrylic cover for my overflow, so catching critters has never been an issue for me...

I am getting ready to do that myself - cant decide to go with some scrap acrylic in the garage and cut and paint, or to just buy 2 clipboards

thbrewst;566879 wrote: I have a 500w titanium heater that I am not using right now as it does not have a thermostat so requires the Reefkeeper. So for the short term I had a 300w Aqueon submersible that I threw in the tank. It is doing OK, but I would bet that it is straining to keep 200 gals of water up to temp. Luckily the MHs should be helping during the day.

I had not considered putting the heater in the overflow, but my immediate concern would be what was mentioned...What 'things' would grow in the overflow given the increased temp. I was going to put it in the return section of the sump, but I'm open to other suggestions. The overflow would certainly be closer to the tank and keep it out of the way.

My 210 only has a 200W on it - ive been thru one winter already and it is still working fine - although brining up temps from an outtage would be a stretch. I just got a 400W I plan to put in the sump for redundancy

Back