Initial water - pre cycling fillup questions

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
Looking for some input here on what the thoughts are about my initial water that I am putting in my tank. Should I be going with RO/DI from the start, Tap and adjust, or I found out that the Glacier water stations outside of publix's use a 3 stage RO filtration system. Any thoughts on the three choices? My LFS sells RO/DI for 1.00 a gallon which i think is high, and filling my 120 with that, then I might as well bite the bullet and pickup a BRS 4 stage.

Also, anyone want to lend me a RO/DI unit for a few days :D

Thanks guys!!

RO from publix is probably ok but I would use rodi from the start.
$1 a gallon is very high. Most places sell mixed saltwater for that.
Running a 120 you are definitely going to want your own unit. It will pay for itself quickly. Make that a top priority on your wish list.

Absolutely use RO/DI for initial fill and absolutely buy your own unit. You don't want to buy water every time you do a water change or top off.

+ 1 it's a very basic and NEEDED investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to get a RO set up myself soon and looking for a little input. Those of you that do have a RO unit, how do you have the plumbing set up???

ttheus;1032051 wrote: Looking to get a RO set up myself soon and looking for a little input. Those of you that do have a RO unit, how do you have the plumbing set up???

Correctly. Hehehehehehehehe

I put mine in the laundry. Used a Y fitting on the cold water for the wash machine and run the discharge down the drain. Definitely get a float and shut off solenoid.

I have mines set up in my third bathroom shower in my basement with two 35 gallon brutes

with a 120, i couldnt imagine not getting an ro unit. The evaporation alone will kill ya. Also some lfs water has been tested as high as 80ppm tds.

if you have a basement sump, it would be a no-brainer to put it down there.

if the tank is anywhere else a simpler solution would be to get a 23 gallon rubbermaid trash can that can fit beside your stand and fill it when it gets low and hook it up with an ato.

laundry rooms are popular for a tap.

i have mine off my front garden hose since the tank is in the formal living room and my laundry room is upstairs. im also on a slab so no basement for me.

Back