Injured carpet anemone

krisco9

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with injuring a carpet anemone. I was cleaning my tank the other day and lifted up the intake stem for my canister filter and accidentally injured my anemone. I had no idea that he has started to move into the intake area.

My nitrate levels are a little high (hence the major cleaning and water changes). I am using phos guard and purigen to help lower the levels. Since the carpet anemone does not look too good right now, I have moved it to my hospital tank. When I moved it I noticed there was a ton of gray and black slime underneath where the anemone was sitting. So I vacummed as much as i could out of the tank.

I am wondering if I can't save the injured area (due to the exposure of high chemicals). I heard there was a way to split the anemone. And hopefully the healthy part will live.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks again for everyones help on this!

I tore the foot of my green carpet when I was trading it to Lee, but from my understanding it healed and is doing well. One thing I know for sure is that the carpet anemones don't reproduce by splitting. Sorry I can't give you much more advice on the subject.

Rob

I have been looking on the internet for the past hour or so and I found some information on another forum site. I think it is for southern california. But they have some information on cutting anemones. Some of them had some cool pictures.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic24714-13-1.aspx">http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic24714-13-1.aspx</a>

I am hoping it will heal itself, do you know how long it was before you or Lee saw the anemone looking healthy again or started to heal?

Lee told me that the carpet looked great the next day. This was about 4 months ago, and I'm not sure how it's doing now.

Rob

What part of the anemone is injured and how bad. Can you post a pic. Yes you can cut and split some anomones but not all and some of the ones you CAN are sensitive to being forced to split by that method. An anemone is a pretty hardy creature under the right conditions. Get you water chemestry in line and (depending on the damage) he will most likely be fine. The worse kind of damage for an anemone is at the foot though.

Back