Installing sink in basement/aquarium room

johnmackay70

Supporting
Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed a sink with a remote sump/pump set up?

My basement in not plumbed, but I have access to a gray water line and hot/cold copper lines above where I want the sink. Unfortunately, I have never done this and don't know where to start with this, what I would need or the difficulty level.

I plan an installing this sink next to my sump for ease of mantainance/water changes (yes, I am on city sewer, not septic) and running a RODI system.

johnmackay70;611856 wrote: Has anyone ever installed a sink with a remote sump/pump set up?

My basement in not plumbed, but I have access to a gray water line and hot/cold copper lines above where I want the sink. Unfortunately, I have never done this and don't know where to start with this, what I would need or the difficulty level.

I plan an installing this sink next to my sump for ease of mantainance/water changes (yes, I am on city sewer, not septic) and running a RODI system.
I'm assuming this is waste line not supply line. If so is it below the bottom of the sink you are planning to use? I see that the supply lines are above.

No, the waste line is also above - I know it can be done, just not sure about who to talk with about it.

I am guessing some sort of closed sump with an effluent pump in it and a float switch - probably a ball valve in it also...

They probably sell them in kits, just not sure what to search on - would love to talk with someone that has done it though

HD sells an all inclusive box that will fit under most laundry sinks. They do need to be flush with fresh watewr after dumping saltwater in them.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100066810/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053">http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100066810/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053</a>
These fit under the sink.

http://www.saniflo.com/SANIVITE.aspx">http://www.saniflo.com/SANIVITE.aspx</a>
They have other options as well, look around the site.

I did that although I didn't buy the kit and rather made it myself. I got a sump pump with a float and check valve and put it in a 5 gal bucket with the sink drained into the backed.

You would take the outlet pipe up to the drain pipe where you should install a s-trap or p-trap. So far as the copper supply line if you have never sweated copper you can get the Sharkbite fittings from HD as well and install them in the copper pipes. I think it is recommended to place a check valve in line as well to prevent back flow out of the vertical pipe. I will check on that

grouper therapy;611900 wrote: You would take the outlet pipe up to the drain pipe where you should install a s-trap or p-trap. So far as the copper supply line if you have never sweated copper you can get the Sharkbite fittings from HD as well and install them in the copper pipes. I think it is recommended to place a check valve in line as well to prevent back flow out of the vertical pipe. I will check on that

Definitely get a check valve.

I just got done installing a utility sink in my basement by means of a similar method.

My septic tank is about 8 - 10 feet above the basement level so it was pumped up to my existing septic/waste line and elbowed back down. Luckily most of this was pre-existing pipe so I did not have any "waste" come spraying back down. I also used a large check valve from H.D. that was about $32.

It was the first time I had ran into something like this as well but my basement was plumbed with a 75-100 gallon catch basin/resevoir tank but the sump pump was not installed so I bought a $130 sump pump with a built-in float valve from H.D. and plumbed a pipe through one of the basin access holes for a vent and it works great! The pump is not hard wired, it actually came with the standard outlet plugs so it is ran through a surge protector and so forth but with your basement not being plumbed-in you could still make your own catch basin if you wanted to use a pump with it's own electronic float valve so that you could set it and forget it for an R/O or something of the sorts.

Goodluck, it can be done!!!!:)

I did it the hard way when I finished my basement. I cut the concrete and installed a catch basin and effluent pump. (I also had to cut the concrete to install drain lines for the bathroom fixtures, so --in for a penny, in for a pound) If all you're doing is the utility sink, the kits from HD or similar are the way to go!

This is what I used.

a>

Crewdawg1981 did just this on this basement sump room, check out his build thread (search the username).

Dustin

that is an awesome setup Jonathon! Do you do consultation? I am planning my basement set up now and you have an incredible system. What is the filter sock contraption? do you have abuild thread?
Thanks Terry

Back