instant ocean sea salt.

wellcraft

Reaction score
I bought three 5 gallons bucket some time ago, the instant ocean salt (purple top) I believe it was the cheapest one. At that time I didn't know anything about different sea salts, I bought this for a 150 gal tank but never got around to set up the tank.
Now I have a nano 28 gal reef tank and want to start mixing my own water.
My question is if is OK to use this cheap salt for my reef tank, I have around 8 corals and I'm a bit worry to use it or if I should keep buying sea water from my reputable lfs.

IO salt is just fine. Just add some buffer to it and you'll save yourself money.

Thanks for replying, I'm basically new to this, could you please tell me what kind of buffer if there are different types or recommend me a brand?
Do I just add the buffer on every water change or more often?

Just so you know I'm currently adding reef fusion 1 and 2.

well before you get into adding any buffers check your ph and alk every day for a week or so without dosing anything and see if you even need to dose because with just 8 corals you may not even need to dose as long as you keep up with water changes. (you have no excuses since you have 3 buckets of salt laying around lol) oh and just make sure you use rodi water so you dont end up with an algae problem down the road i was using tap water for a while and had terrible algae problems and switching to rodi water and adding a gfo reactor took care of it

Back