Instant/quick cycle?

shrike

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm looking to do a quick cycle on a smaller tank but I've never done one before. I know how the process works but does anyone know if any lfs and the metro area sells clean live rock, and does anyone know or recommend live bacteria like DR. Tims from experience. I likely have enough live rock and sand but I'm curious if anyone in the area has had success or the opposite trying to get live rock from one of the local fish stores or just using something like doctor Tim's. I want to test this out on a smaller scale before I do a tank transfer that may require me to have fish and coral in a separate tank for a couple days.

I jump started all of my additional tanks by just taking media and rock from an existing/established tank I had, along with bottled bacteria and new live sand. I waited a few days when I first set up my 4.8 gallon desk mate, only having a few zoas and mushrooms to start off.

When I upgraded that tank into the 15g cube it’s all in now, I didn’t even bother with new live sand. Just added more media from my 25g and all the live rock that was in the deskmate. No bacteria for that one either, as I was taking media and rock from 2 other tanks.

My 'insta tank' process is to add any bottled bacteria to a newly set up tank and give it 2-4 days no light, then I go buy a bunch of corals with skeletons such as lobos, toss them in there and call it a day. I've done this 4 times myself successfully, I just don't put anything too expensive in right away and I expect to have a couple of things not make it. YMMV, it doesn't work for everyone, but it's worked for me.

The fastest cycle I have experience with is using Fritzzyme products. The Turbostart #9 takes 5 days or less. You can order it fresh online delivered to your house. Follow their directions and it works.

FWIW, Fritz industries is the largest manufacturer of nitrifying bacteria in the US. Their products are used in waste water treatment plants as well as aquaculture facilities, ponds & aquaria.

Use at least some rock/rubble from an established system. About 50% of the startup water should be from an established system. Add an ammonia starter, I like Toms, and a bacteria starter. Watch your nitrite levels to determine when you can add stuff. Once its gone up and starts to fall, you can do a water change and add stuff.

When I restart my QT tanks and do it that way, it usually takes 4-6 days.

Just a PSA, the bottled bacteria does VERY little to help your cycle. If you are starting with live rock, then you should not even need it. Every major brand of bottled bacteria has been analyzed and few of them of them even have aquatic bacteria in them, let alone marine strains. In the rare chance that they survive, they won't be able to effectively fill the role of a marine nitrifying bacteria. Fritz is actually the worst of the bunch, with nothing but terrestrial bacterial strains that do not survive in a marine environment. The "bottled bacteria" craze is, unfortunately, a scam taking advantage of people's tendencies to believe "scientific" sounding claims.

If you want more info, Salem talks about this often on the Reef Recap show from Reef Builders.

Last edited:
Just a PSA, the bottled bacteria does VERY little to help your cycle. If you are starting with live rock, then you should not even need it. Every major brand of bottled bacteria has been analyzed and few of them of them even have aquatic bacteria in them, let alone marine strains. In the rare chance that they survive, they won't be able to effectively fill the role of a marine nitrifying bacteria. Fritz is actually the worst of the bunch, with nothing but terrestrial bacterial strains that do not survive in a marine environment. The "bottled bacteria" craze is, unfortunately, a scam taking advantage of people's tendencies to believe "scientific" sounding claims.

If you want more info, Salem talks about this often on the Reef Recap show from Reef Builders.
So these quick cycles are actually due to the addition of pre used rock and media? That's really interesting. Useful information for a lot of people, I'd imagine, especially newbies who are looking to get a tank cycled quickly.
I'm about to fill my tank for the first time and start cycling. My plan is to use the fishless method, adding Dr. Tim's ammonia and bottle bacteria. I don't have access to used media or rock. Maybe I can be part of an experiment, of sorts lol? I'll see how quickly I can get my tank cycled. Then I'll update with a post on here.

Well I guess Ill stop wasting my money on that then....

So are you summarizing it as a bottle of nothing? Anecdotally I've heard a lot of people say that nitrifying bacteria can be helpful in many different ways not necessarily in the sense of cycling a new tank but stabilizing water parameters and such. Even if there was a test on a major name brand I would question the circumstances of the testing. Personally I believe live rock and rubble is legitimate way to go but I wouldn't disregard any products out there is not having benefit. Do you have a link to the study? I've read stories of ridiculous success with rapid cycles but not necessarily solely based on bottled bacteria. From microbiology I can understand the concerns as to how they are able to breed identify transport keep alive and sustain specific bacteria but from working as a statistician there's got to be a lot of other factors that come into play

So are you summarizing it as a bottle of nothing? Anecdotally I've heard a lot of people say that nitrifying bacteria can be helpful in many different ways not necessarily in the sense of cycling a new tank but stabilizing water parameters and such. Even if there was a test on a major name brand I would question the circumstances of the testing. Personally I believe live rock and rubble is legitimate way to go but I wouldn't disregard any products out there is not having benefit. Do you have a link to the study? I've read stories of ridiculous success with rapid cycles but not necessarily solely based on bottled bacteria. From microbiology I can understand the concerns as to how they are able to breed identify transport keep alive and sustain specific bacteria but from working as a statistician there's got to be a lot of other factors that come into play
I will see if I can get the studies from Salem. Dr. Eli from AquaBiomics is who did the tests of I'm not mistaken.

Instant cycle is a very real thing, but again IIRC it's mostly the ammonia dosing that boosts it along. Randy Holmes-Farley has some articles on R2R about this.

I'm looking to do a quick cycle on a smaller tank but I've never done one before. I know how the process works but does anyone know if any lfs and the metro area sells clean live rock, and does anyone know or recommend live bacteria like DR. Tims from experience. I likely have enough live rock and sand but I'm curious if anyone in the area has had success or the opposite trying to get live rock from one of the local fish stores or just using something like doctor Tim's. I want to test this out on a smaller scale before I do a tank transfer that may require me to have fish and coral in a separate tank for a couple days.
I literally just took my mom's water from her water change and put it in a 10gal tank, cycled it for 3 weeks with some fritz turbo start, and I already have corals and a RBTA in it lol.

Back