Interesting study of salt brands

navyreefer

Market
Reaction score
If you trust the results of this Test / Company the results are not what I thought they would be. Tropic Marine Pro does not do so well....

a>

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen that yet. +1!

Definitely, not what I expected. I was surprised that coralife tested so well.

Another good article on salt. More fuel for the never ending salt debate as well.

Cameron;140069 wrote: Another good article on salt. More fuel for the never ending salt debate as well.

Cameron, what has gotton into you! This has been posted 2 X's before today! Let me help you remember the last time:

Ralph, "it's already posted in the product review forum" and in reef discussion

Cameron, "Yeah... get your crap straight before you post on here. Wait thought I was on RC..."

just trying to make everyone feel, well.........ya know.........ummm.....lol

I'm still wondering if anyone can comment specifically on this test of the sea salt brands. Can any company be declared the winner? What about losers? And, why? Just curious since this study did not attempt to analyze the results.

Never will be a winner and a loser.

This test conflicts with some others as well. So the answer is there is no real answer. It's just another data point. If you go solely on this test then most are extremely simular and IO is probably the cheapest and still gets what you need. but it's based on two samples and isn't completely mixed throughout the bag, etc, etc. so many many holes.

kwl1763;140932 wrote: Never will be a winner and a loser.

This test conflicts with some others as well. So the answer is there is no real answer. It's just another data point.

i was thinking that myself. its intresting that all the test except this one lean toward bashing one or more of hte other salts. the problem that i have with all the test is that none of them say how many stages the water was filtered through, water temp, tds or any of the other parameters. but they are all still good to look at i like the pretty colors too.

my boss thought it was a graph i did for him and said oh thats nice let me see i had to say no its not finished i will email you the finished product (he still hasn't gotten a graph)

That's no fun! I want somebody to stir up some controversy by declaring a winner :). Until then, I declare Morton's salt as the winner due to it's low price and user friendly salt spout.

tyleratl;141049 wrote: That's no fun! I want somebody to stir up some controversy by declaring a winner :). Until then, I declare Morton's salt as the winner due to it's low price and user friendly salt spout.

Morton who is morton???????????? everyone knows the best isi tropic Marin pro reef followed by seachem reef with morton coming in double wood

them say how many stages the water was filtered through, water temp, tds or any of the other parameters

They used a new 4 stage RO/DI unit. That is in the report. Temp would not make a different in the results of the compounds or elements. TDS could throw the results off, but with a new RO/DI unit could or would be unlikely.

Until then, I declare Morton's salt as the winner due to it's low price and user friendly salt spout

Morton doesn't disolve fast enough. So there! The debate is still on!

Sihaya, they do labratory grade testing for aquarium parameters. I dont know, the study may be accurate, but it seems kinda fishy since they used such small samples, 7 grams in only 200ml.... seems like that would produce the same kinda inconsistency they saw in some of their tests....why is the tropic marin all over the place? my guess would be bc they used such small samples to generalize entire salt manufacturers. I dont really understand why they didnt just mix larger volumes of water but who knows it could be completely accurate.

NavyReefer;139904 wrote: If you trust the results of this Test / Company the results are not what I thought they would be. Tropic Marine Pro does not do so well....

http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf">http://www.aquariumwatertesting.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf</a>[/QUOTE]

This link does not work on my computor. Is it working for the rest of you?

mysterybox;140207 wrote: Cameron, what has gotton into you! This has been posted 2 X's before today! Let me help you remember the last time:

Ralph, "it's already posted in the product review forum" and in reef discussion

Cameron, "Yeah... get your crap straight before you post on here. Wait thought I was on RC..."

just trying to make everyone feel, well.........ya know.........ummm.....lol
I have seen this study numerous times posted before on other reef forums. I read and post on so many threads across so many forums, I can't remember every post. Don't think it changes my joke on one other thread or pointing out the endless silly salt debate on this one.

Well, I am ready to declare a real winner. No, not Morton's. That was the winner before I read enough to understand the test results and compare them to my own water sample from my tank. Y'all may have seen my other post that included the PDF of the results of my water test done by aquariumwatertesting.com. These are the same folks that did this study of the major sea salt brands. Well, the only problems noted on my own water test were low potassium, calcium, boron, magnesium, and iodine as well as high silica and molybdenum. Since I used zero TDS water, I was confused as to why my silica was at 0.8. Well, I have been using Red Sea Coral Pro salt which ALSO has an average test result of 0.8 Silica on the comparison study! So, I have exactly what one would predict if you believe the study. As for the high molybdenum, my water tested at 0.2. Wanna guess what the average for Red Sea Coral Pro salt was on the study? Yep, 0.2. As for the winner, I think it is probably Coralife. They really keep it pure if you believe the salt study. Very low silica and phosphate figures. The only problem I saw at all with Coralife was a low boron figure. Anyway, I think I am going to switch to Coralife since I have declared them the winner!

Back