Internal vs. External pumps

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
So it's the battle of the pumps.
Internal vs. External pumps.
What are your thoughts?
Pros / cons?

I personally like to eliminate the possiblity of a leaky pump so with the big selection of internal pumps out there, i go with the internal.
I do believe external pumps are avilable with more power / flow rate / head etc. Than internals but for me i just compensate with multiple internal pumps.

I have never used an external, but I also usually try to maximize the sump under my stand. Dry real estate is typically an issue for me.

If I ever plumbed a tank from my basement, I would consider external.

Hell I'm seeing quite a few people replacing externals with the new Vectra pumps.

Running both on different tanks, the internal is pretty quite and provides enough flow. The external is pretty loud, but like stated above, has more GPH and higher head pressure, so less flow is lost between the pump and tank input.

I like the new vectra, and am looking into switching out the external once I have enough cash.

I've used both... Reflow Dart external and now using a Jeboa internal. My vote goes to the internal DC pumps with their small footprint, quietness, and improved output.

External here, all of the way, and as much as I can.
Talking about internals, it's still for me, something I can believe that many guys still using Mag brand for big tanks, the heat that they put and the noise that they make it's quite high enough for me to dislike, I've used a Mag 5 and was never quiet. I've seen large Mag's and some other brands, all the same.
I've used Rio too, (and never have a problem, even knowing that some people claim problems) and I liked, but going for more gph this time.
I've seen tanks with really quiet externals, and saying that I've seen small and and large pumps, you just have to find where to put the $ for a nice external.
Want to expend some money in an internal dc pump? Go with the abizz brand.

Antonio, I have never even heard of the abyzz brand before and it's a good thing.....the sticker price would have killed me!
WOWZA!

this abyzz pump makes the gyre look like a puppy, but don't know how you would set it up as a return pump and get it to make waves unless you use it as a close loop pump.
guess it's the same concept the vortech power head works on.

watch

MYREEFCLUB0070;1066688 wrote: Antonio, I have never even heard of the abyzz brand before and it's a good thing.....the sticker price would have killed me!
WOWZA!
Yeah, like I said a while ago, those Germans are known to make quality stuff, but this pump can make a deep gash in the pocket.

Depends on the situation. Large installs need external pumps. Small ones can use internal pumps. The new Vectra is totes. I can't and won't trust the Chinese ones, so can't comment on them other than that.

Both have their place.

Back