Internal vs. External Return?

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Trying to decide wheather to go internal or external on my new 250 DD tank. The problem I here people say about external is that they are loud and add more heat into the tank. They also pull more watts than internal. I have also heard people say that internal pumps can transfer heat and don't last as long as external pumps. What pumps would you recommend for internal and external. What pump do you use and what experience have you had. Thanks for the help and opinions.

External pumps don't</em> add heat wjereas internal pumps do.

It'll depend on where your sump is in relation to the tank, sump flow-through rate, & budget.

The better pumps are, well, better!

I will have the sump under the tank and want a moderate to low turn over rate. The budget will be around $200- $300.

LSU_fishFan;966721 wrote: I will have the sump under the tank and want a moderate to low turn over rate. The budget will be around $200- $300.

In that case, you can do a nice internal. I like ehiem pumps for that.
They're solid pumps. Tried and tested.

Eheim pumps can also be run externally. I have a smaller capacity Pan World external pump on my 180 gallon fresh water tank, and it is pretty quiet. You might also look into a DC pumps, as they are pretty quiet as well in an external configuration.

I would not worry about the heat so much from an internal pump if your tank is in a cool place, like a basement. Internals are also good if you have limited space.

Acroholic;966750 wrote: Eheim pumps can also be run externally. I have a smaller capacity Pan World external pump on my 180 gallon fresh water tank, and it is pretty quiet. You might also look into a DC pumps, as they are pretty quiet as well in an external configuration.

I would not worry about the heat so much from an internal pump if your tank is in a cool place, like a basement. Internals are also good if you have limited space.

I should have enough space if I go external. What do y'all think about the Reef octopus DC pumps?

LSU_fishFan;966751 wrote: I should have enough space if I go external. What do y'all think about the Reef octopus DC pumps?
Probably no worse than any other Asian made DC pump. The big unknown regarding DC pumps is long term reliability because they have not been in operation long.

If you don't want to chance it, Eheim or Pan World is a sure thing regarding reliability.

LSU_fishFan;966751 wrote: I should have enough space if I go external. What do y'all think about the Reef octopus DC pumps?

None of these chinese dc pumps have been out long enough to know if they last or not. The 1st gen were really bad. Only time will tell, but I'm not willing to be the guinea pig on it, especially for a return pump.

I use TONS of blueline external pumps. Depending on the model, then can be silent and will run forever. Since you don't have a lot of head pressure to deal with, you could easily go this route and save a good bit of money to boot.

External also tends to be slightly more energy efficient, and less maintenance IMO.

External makes it one less thing to move and clean around in your sump.

LSU_fishFan;966948 wrote: I think I am going to go with a Iwaki 40RXT Japanese motor
Iwaki pumps are not what I would call quiet. Great pumps, and I have an Iwaki 70 that is the return pump on my 465, but if you need quiet, it would not be my first choice. Mine is in an unfinished part of my basement, so noise is not an issue.

Acroholic;966951 wrote: Iwaki pumps are not what I would call quiet. Great pumps, and I have an Iwaki 70 that is the return pump on my 465, but if you need quiet, it would not be my first choice. Mine is in an unfinished part of my basement, so noise is not an issue.

I am willing to overlook the noise for the reliabliry of the iwaki pumps.

LSU_fishFan;966956 wrote: I am willing to overlook the noise for the reliabliry of the iwaki pumps.

The 40x is quiet. Dave's 70 is way louder.

Acroholic;966951 wrote: Iwaki pumps are not what I would call quiet. Great pumps, and I have an Iwaki 70 that is the return pump on my 465, but if you need quiet, it would not be my first choice. Mine is in an unfinished part of my basement, so noise is not an issue.

Did you use an American motor?

LSU_fishFan;966960 wrote: Did you use an American motor?
Japanese motor. I think the american motors only go up to the 40 series.

That is great if the 40 is more quiet, like Raj says. If you are good with it, great choice. I got rid of my Hammerhead Hybrid after three failed seals in 18 months. I haven't regretted going to the Iwaki 70 one bit.

The only thing strange about the Iwaki series below the 70 is the odd offset of the RXT Series Iwaki pumps vs the RLT Series pump vertical output. Not sure which, but one of the Series is flow and the other is pressure rated. Maybe it has to do with the purpose of the pump.

EDIT:

Here, just found this explanation:

Pumps: Iwaki MD Pumps & Iwaki WMD Pumps
Iwaki Pumps, RLT type, handle back pressure better and can be used for almost any application. Especially recommended for high-head situations or when using cartridge (pressure) filters.
Iwaki Pumps, RLXT type, are best suited for circulation only - that is, where water encounters very little back pressure--for example, returning water from a sump. Excellent where a high turn-over rate is desired.
Iwaki Pumps, WMD, have American Made Motors
Iwaki Pumps, MD, have Japanese Made Motors

Acroholic;966972 wrote: Japanese motor. I think the american motors only go up to the 40 series.

That is great if the 40 is more quiet, like Raj says. If you are good with it, great choice. I got rid of my Hammerhead Hybrid after three failed seals in 18 months. I haven't regretted going to the Iwaki 70 one bit.

The only thing strange about the Iwaki series below the 70 is the odd offset of the RXT Series Iwaki pumps vs the RLT Series pump vertical output. Not sure which, but one of the Series is flow and the other is pressure rated. Maybe it has to do with the purpose of the pump.

EDIT:

Here, just found this explanation:

Pumps: Iwaki MD Pumps & Iwaki WMD Pumps
Iwaki Pumps, RLT type, handle back pressure better and can be used for almost any application. Especially recommended for high-head situations or when using cartridge (pressure) filters.
Iwaki Pumps, RLXT type, are best suited for circulation only - that is, where water encounters very little back pressure--for example, returning water from a sump. Excellent where a high turn-over rate is desired.
Iwaki Pumps, WMD, have American Made Motors
Iwaki Pumps, MD, have Japanese Made Motors

Yep, those HH pumps are notorious for bad seals. If you're looking for that style pump, go with a Sequence. They're still made in the USA and use very good quality seals.

The Iwaki pumps with a "X" in the model number is a flow rated pump. Without the X will be a pressure rated pump. The Panworld equivalent is another great option.

Back