invasive lionfish video

indecloudzua

Market
Reaction score
Here's a video I came across of the lionfish getting killed by a moray eel..

a>

No doubt. I think the diver realized what was going on and acted quickly. I think this is the first proof of lionfish getting killed by a native inhabitant..let's hope more morays figure this out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I want to ad this important article on your thread, well worthed, if someone has the time to read it

a>

Another great link. Many people are confused about invasive/non native species. I know many people that consider coyotes, for example, as an invasive species when it's not because it naturally migrated into areas to fill niches that were once filled by wolves.

This reminds me of something I heard of 20-25 years ago. My moms boyfriend at the time had a 220 gallon reef tank with a lion called "George". He also had an eel whose name and what kind I forget..(I want to say brown with white stripes or spots)..could be wrong. Anyways the lionfish stung the eel one day and the eel almost died and did not eat for close to six weeks. About two months later he witnessed the eel and lion have another encounter in which "george" stung the eel once more...but this time with no ill effects..twas then that "George" was eaten by the eel. So perhaps certain or perhaps all eels that survive (dont know if they die from it anyways) become immune to the lionfish afterwards and can then feast on them when they want! I dunno..but tis food for thought

You've just given me a great potential research idea if I get into the masters program for marine bio.

Now if we can only get the other eels to start eating these guys, we would be on to something. It is sad that you see lion fish on just about every dive in the Caribbean now.

I heard they were pretty good eatin. Need to bring a speargun!

I have heard that as well, but have not had the chance to try myself.... Of course that also has it's own risks... Have you seen this video? I have had the opportunity to shark dive around the world, but I do not want any part of this...

this-is-what-an-actual-shark-attack-looks-like

my wife (biologist) disagreed with what i said initially.. after some convincing she thought it might be worth looking into. from what i understand it is not understood that an eel can develop an immunity...but ive seen it.

indecloudzua;948997 wrote: You've just given me a great potential research idea if I get into the masters program for marine bio.

btw perhaps my wife could help you and vice versa on this discovery

Woaaa! That shark has some determination! Wondering if that attitude comes correlated from an a previous human encounter/attack...

billyOcean;949537 wrote: btw perhaps my wife could help you and vice versa on this discovery

most def..im still about a year away from applying for grad school..but maybe i can get some undergrad research funds..ill see what i can do..

Back