Invert curious

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever kept a maxima clam. Those things are gorgeous, in case you guys can’t tell I am truly a rookie but want to have plenty of color in my aquarium

I would learn more before getting one. I know they take some knowledge. Get a ricordia mushroom. Really bright and easy to keep.

Clam's require good/stable water chemistry and lots of light.

Daniel Knopp is credited with producing commercial calcium reactors to enable keeping clams.

Calcium reactors themselves are expensive and somewhat complicated.

I consider giant clams to be an advanced care species, and 2nd ^ the suggestion you consider waiting and learning more first.

Emphasis in the the lots of light* I upgraded my light specifically to get a clam but have been so enamored with Acro growth that I've scrapped the idea entirely. But now that you mention it.....

Would stay away from them if I were you. They aren't necessarily beginner friendly. Can be very fragile, require pristine water, and if they die it's sometimes hard to tell... and your tank will crash.

Side note: I remember reading somewhere that the mortality rate of clams smaller than 4-5” was astronomical like 70-80% range. That was enough to steer me away. Small ones are expensive but large ones are crazy

Back