Is anyone else getting sick clowns?

delpni

Market
Reaction score
So I am just wondering if anyone has recently had a problem with newly purchased clown fish? I have 2 in my tank (False Percula) that have been there for several months with no problems. Over the past 2 months though, I have purchased 3 clowns from 2 different LFS' and all 3 have died within 2-3 weeks of having them. I drip them for a minimum of 1 hour and sometimes as long as 3 hours. My tank water is fine (I have tested and re-tested) and everything else (fish, shrimp, hermits, snails, anemones, etc.) seems very content. I read an article from a few years ago where vendors were improperly obtaining, caring for, and shipping clown fish (and others) to local LFS' and am wondering if this is becoming an issue again? For me, this is only a problem with clowns because in the 2 months I've been losing them, I have also added a BTA, 2 cleaner shrimp, and 1 Chromi who are all happy. I'm really just trying to find out if I'm alone in this problem... :unsure:

Something is wrong clowns are the hardest fish to kill maybe fighting and or off the charts parameters.( I know u said tested ) Ask how long lfs has had fish before buying always qt dripping clowns is prob overkill there tough but a good idea. I've herd or improperly catching fish but prob not the issue

Originally, I added the 3 clowns at the same time. Two of the originals are still healthy but do not seem to have paired. I work from home and am constantly watching the fish tank; I NEVER see the clowns fighting or bothering each other. In fact, the one that just passed this morning seemed as though it had paired with one of the others; they slept together and for two days, they kept doing this thing where they swim beside each other and 'vibrate'(?). Thinking back on it, the 3 fish that have died were all received by the LFS within 48 hours of my purchasing them. I am thinking now (never occured to me in the past :unsure:) that the fish are probably in shock from moving water too often in such a short time...STRESS!!</em> How long would you all suggest keeping the fish at the LFS before taking them home?

Vibrating fish is territory protecting and stressing the weaker fish to DEATH !!!! Only put 2 in tank if you want more sell all and put small babys in at same time still risk death when a dominant female is established

smartwater;541215 wrote: Vibrating fish is territory protecting and stressing the weaker fish to DEATH !!!! Only put 2 in tank if you want more sell all and put small babys in at same time still risk death when a dominant female is established

For some reason, I always thought the 'vibrating' meant that the two were trying to figure out which will be the female and they were pairing off to possibly mate in the future. :confused2: Had I known it was something that was causing stress and could be the cause of their death, I would have given away the new fish in a minute! :sad:

Not sure how that's decided but the one who eats the food first everytime tends to dominate hence ( female )

delpni;541217 wrote: For some reason, I always thought the 'vibrating' meant that the two were trying to figure out which will be the female and they were pairing off to possibly mate in the future. :confused2: Had I known it was something that was causing stress and could be the cause of their death, I would have given away the new fish in a minute! :sad:
While the clowns will vibrate when pairing up, its a sign of dominance and they also do it as aggression toward other fish.

delpni;541217 wrote: For some reason, I always thought the 'vibrating' meant that the two were trying to figure out which will be the female and they were pairing off to possibly mate in the future. :confused2: Had I known it was something that was causing stress and could be the cause of their death, I would have given away the new fish in a minute! :sad:

The vibrations seen is a submissive gesture. It doesnt mean its male or female. Thet ais all hormonally controlled and the fish dont "decide" it based on actions. But, the quivering isnt necessarily a bad sign at all. It means that one is being submissive and doesnt want to challenge.

To your original post, it very hot weather, when water temps rise (in our tanks, in store tanks, in wholesaler tanks, etc etc etc), Brookynella seems to pop up and become very "popular". I would not add any fish without at least dipping them, but preferably QTing them. Brook is a nasty bug.

Back