Is anyone gonna do this?

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
As it gets hotter slowly mover your light cycle to a cooler part of the day.

Like start it way early and end it early or start late and run it at night?

Not me... I am a member of the t-5 club for that reason and $$$$.

:)

Yeah I have T5s also but was just wondering about all the MH users out there.

I run my lights on a reverse light schedule. I'm usually gone from 7am-5pm so I run the lights when I'm actually home and can enjoy the tank.

I run my lights later in the day so I can enjoy my tank. What's the point of saving a little money if you can't enjoy the tank?

No need. Even with the dreaded "flame throwing, diamond melting, lava creating" metal Halides, my tank temp never goes above 81. With fans and the AC ducted into the stand with the sump, its not an issue. I have a chiller, but I havent heard it come on in nearly a month. Typically for me, the warmest tank months are in spring and fall (when the weather is mild enough to not turn on the AC, but also warm enough to heat the house/tank).

I disagree with running the lights at night. Fish need to sleep. Coral need a dark period. Even if the lights arent running, theres this thing called daylight, and it will effect the animals.

We run a programable thermostat so the warmest the house gets is 74F. During the winter the coolest it gets is 65F (night setting) so it's actually a little tougher in the winter season than any other time of the year since the heater works OT.

I've got T5s and today (didn't turn on the AC when I left for work) it got to about 82. Tank was at 81.5 when I got home. I guess I get to keep the AC on 24/7 all summer now that I have a reef tank.

ares;334029 wrote: I should probably mention, that very shortly I will be experimenting with a double photoperiod... not for heat, but to balance PH swings, and avoid peak hour energy usage(ga power charges almost double for mid day). Im not home, so my goal is to straddle this time with my photoperiod. see how the corals respond.

daylight is a concern though, its not in direct light, but more than enough to get the corals to open up.

I've been considering curtains on the windows in the room to block out ambient light. My photoperiod starts at around noon, but there are a couple of small East-facing windows that let ambient light in much earlier... and the light in there is much stronger in the summertime.

I do but also because of on peak hours. Where I am its June through sept. the power rate triples from 2pm to 9pm.

I run my lights from 9pm-9am, the room is sealed off from almost all daylight, I to want to enjoy my tank.

jmaneyapanda;333902 wrote: my tank temp never goes above 81. With fans and the AC ducted into the stand with the sump, its not an issue.

Good idea! I've never heard of doing this.

Now I'm wishing we put the tank on an interiror wall.

My wife usually keeps the air around 59 so I don't think I will ever have a problem. My tank usually stays about 77-78.

jmaneyapanda;333902 wrote: I disagree with running the lights at night. Fish need to sleep. Coral need a dark period. Even if the lights arent running, theres this thing called daylight, and it will effect the animals.

I agree, which is why my tank is in my room with only 1 window that is completely covered (just because it is East facing and I don't want to be woken earlier than I have to) so I have my light come on later in the day when I am not here and they stay on longer at night because they came on later... this way I can enjoy my tank more

LeeS;334130 wrote: My wife usually keeps the air around 59 so I don't think I will ever have a problem. My tank usually stays about 77-78.

My dad would have a heart attack if my mom did that.... good thing she doesn't access this forum to much or she could be living with you very shortly lol

Back