Is buying live rock online safe?

fraggel rock

Market
Reaction score
I want to buy some good live rock but I cant see paying 7.99 per lb. I was looking at
a>. Does anybody have any suggestions

go to Salt Water City its 3 bux a pound there and you get to hand pick your pieces.......you cant do that online

You can get it much cheaper than 7.99 from several of our sponsors.

Buying online is safe, but bear in mind that once you loose the ability to pick and choose shapes, pay for shipping, and have to fully cure it, buying in town isn't that much more (if at all). It also helps keep quality stores open.

never heard anyone complain about any of the rock they have gotten from saltwater city......its deff. worth taking a look at before u pay all that money for online ordering and shipping and then having to wait for it and then have to cure it.........

u know what im saying, just take a look at it u can always say no i would rather order but at least u gave yourself a shot at saving some money

Cool. I have spoken to sal on the cell about an overflow once and he seemed very friendly. I guess I need to make the drive over there this weekend and check the place out. Thank you

SWC seems to be hit and miss in terms of really nice rock with stuff growing on it. I've been there a few times and sometimes its really nice stuff, sometimes its bare, but he always has 2 buckets full to choose from.

The nice thing about extras is all you need is one little piece of rock with critters or sponges or whatever and it'll seed your entire reef.

online is safe, but local is better. George pretty much nailed it. By the time you figure in shipping and weight "discrepancy", you're no better off than buying locally. AND, you get to pick and choose your pieces.

I filled my tank with all hand-picked locally bought live rock...and that's a LOT of rock!

I contacted this guy not too long ago. He is an eBay seller who also accepts local pick-up from Powder Springs. Really sweet looking rock. Its a long drive for me...but I would like to give him a try sometime.If the rock is anything like the pictures, 3 bucks a pound is incredible. He is familiar with the ARC. Let me know if you decide to try him out!

in case this link does not work, its item #180254621816

a>

BASSCYN;190299 wrote: I contacted this guy not too long ago. He is an eBay seller who also accepts local pick-up from Powder Springs. Really sweet looking rock. Its a long drive for me...but I would like to give him a try sometime.If the rock is anything like the pictures, 3 bucks a pound is incredible. He is familiar with the ARC. Let me know if you decide to try him out!

in case this link does not work, its item #180254621816

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiji-Live-Rock-Ultra-Premium-Grade-By-the-Pound_W0QQitemZ180254621816QQihZ008QQcategoryZ117437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiji-Live-Rock-Ultra-Premium-Grade-By-the-Pound_W0QQitemZ180254621816QQihZ008QQcategoryZ117437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a>[/QUOTE]

The guy is an ARC Sponsor. Look a the list: Wholesale Aquatic Supplies. He is an east coast distributor for OceanPro Aquatics, aka Wholesale Aquatic Supplies. They sell different grades of LR. I looked at them also, and you cannot get the Ultra Premium Figi, but you can get the Premium.

If you MO it, you will have to cure it, which takes a while.

FWIW, I kept my eye on the ARC classifieds and bought 150# of awsome rock locally from someone getting out of the hobby. Stuff was cycled. I didn't have to go thru any die off on this stuff and was able to immediately start adding things to my reef.

Dave

Acroholic;190326 wrote: The guy is an ARC Sponsor. Look a the list: Wholesale Aquatic Supplies. He is an east coast distributor for OceanPro Aquatics, aka Wholesale Aquatic Supplies. They sell different grades of LR. I looked at them also, and you cannot get the Ultra Premium Figi, but you can get the Premium

Let me correct myself. You cannot get the Ultra Premium Figi locally from the guy in Powder Springs. You can get the Premium Figi from the guy in Powder Springs. The Ultra Premium Figi has to be orderd from OceanPro Aquatics in Chino, California.
Dave

I agree with being able to buy locally or from a fellow reefer. I have done both of those and been very happy with what I got. I also bought 100lbs of rock on line at marcorocks.com. The disadvantages are: you don't get to pick the specific pieces and you have to fully cycle it. The advantages are: the rock comes dry so the weight is all rock without any water, he adds a pound or so to make up for any breakage, since it is dry you can play with stacking it and it is easy to drill and pin, and there are no unwanted hitchhikers to worry about.

Also, if price is an issue, consider putting in dry rock for the base pieces and then using some choice pieces of live rock for color. You can seed your rock with sand from an established tank.

I agree with getting rock from Sal. You really can't beat that price. It's unheard of.

the rock at swc is fiji rock same as brian from powdersprings my price is 3.00 lb plus 10% arc discount we have about 800 lbs in stock.

Hey guys.. I sell the different types of live rock, but all rock has to be shipped since its a Wholesale only location. No Local Pickups.

Back