Is it possible to be algae free?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
I get a very very light coating of algae in spots on my CC substrate. It is a green to brownish and is "furry". It is only in spots and is no more that a centimeter or 2 in length. It does not seem to spread on to corals or affect anything. I suck out the spots when I do water changes 1 x per week but by the 3rd day it is back. Does anyone else have this? Is there such a thing as a totally algae free reef tank? Specs and parameters below.

58G Display w approx 17G in sump.
Light 150W 20K w 2 x 65W actinics. Change bulbs every 7 months.
Reef Crystals salt with 0 TDS RO/DI Water.
Change 5 gallons every 5 days.
Only 4 fish fed 1 x per day.
SG = 1.025 (refractometer)
PH = 8.1
Temp = 79-81
Alk = 9 dkh
Calcium = 390
Nitrates, Ammonia = 0

It sounds like it could be the result of trapped stuff in the CC. I know you don't feed a lot in one sitting but when I used to feed once every couple of days, it did help with keeping the tank clear.

However, the ocean by nature is not a prestine and quarantined place...

Thanks. I may try cutting back on the feeding. Also the CC substrate is only like 3/4 of an inch in depth. My skimmer is a Coralife SS 65. Would a bigger / better skimmer have any effect on this?

You could try a phosphate reactor, Its not that much to set up and will take away the food the algae is feeding on.

I would hesitate to say being "algae free" in the display tank is impossible. Perhaps it could be done. You would need a very light feeding routine (much lighter than people would think to try). Plenty of Macro in the sump growing of course. A Phosban reactor would likely help achieve the goal of no nuisance algae in the display. Having fish in the display sort of pushes the system toward the propensity for algae issues. Fish need to be fed and they make waste. People like to feed their fish and watch them eat. This gives algae a great opportunity to grow whenever the nutrients and light allow them too. A better skimmer would likely help your situation. Increased skimming efficiency/action would remove more organics from the water column thus preventing them from breaking down into usuable forms for the growth of nuisance algae. Hope that helps some. :)

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to upgrade to a larger tank so a new skimmer is in the plan. I will also cut back on the feeding a little.

I was thinking the same thing so I recently installed a Maxi Jet with the rotating attachment and set it up so that it blows directly across the front of the sand bed. It may have helped a little.

That sounds like cyanobacteria to me. In which case nutrient export will help. I would suggest the biggest baddest skimmer you can get- but in replacemnet of that- frequent water changes, minimized feeding (or more to the point fish consumption), and maximized skimmer output.

Have you ever thought about replacing the CC bed with fine sand?

I have read a lot of posts by people who have done that and report very positive results. Gonna be a major pain; but at the very least, you'd never have to vacuum it again.

he CC is going to have algea just from trapped detritus. While no one is totally algea free (it builds up on the glass and turf builds on the rocks no matter what whichis why we have snails) but I am "bad" algae (hair, byopsis, bubble cyno (even though it's a bacteria, excess diatoms (again not algea), etc) free and always have been on this tank.

Darren,

When you change tank water, do you siphon the all the crushed coral or just the spots with algae? I try to siphon my sand every week with water changes.

kzoo wrote: You could try a phosphate reactor, Its not that much to set up and will take away the food the algae is feeding on.

How well do these really work? I'm getting a used one, and I'm wondering what kind of performance to get out of it.

Chris I just try siphon the areas that need it and remove a minimal amount.

Back