Is it possible to use dryed Ph Probe anf ORP probe (New)

project1004

Supporting
Reaction score
I have brandnew PH probe controller I bought some time ago. I just realized that the both probe is dried. I got in touch with Milwaukee and this is the response I got.

"That is buffering salt and it does not affect the probe performance – <u>you just need to rinse off the buffer salt and let soak for about 20 to 30 min in a glass of water then calibrate the pH probe.</u> The ORP probe is factory calibrated. There should have been a card in the box explaining the “Buffer Salt”

If you do not want to put them into service then return the probes to us using RGA# ****** you can mail the probes back with your full return address and we will send you replacement. You can mail them to..."</em>

My question is do you think it's okay to use as mentioned or retrun for new one. I am concern that they might just be sending my probe back with new solution in it.

Thanks in advance~

2r42bzm.jpg
alt="" />

2s7c2tj.jpg
alt="" />

Well if the pH probe has gone dry....it's no good. I can't speak to the ORP probe. If it were me and since they offered...I'd send both back. If you want to make sure they don't simply return to you the ones you sent....take a pinpoint permanent marker and place a small dot right below the top black cap. Just one or two dots...whatever you would recognize. If the ones that they return have dots....then they did send the originals back to you.

cool, i thought so. I will return it and hope they will get me a new one.
Thanks for the resopnse~~~

Skriz;962478 wrote: There's nothing wrong with the probe.

Yes, please explain. I've read a million times that if a pH probe ever goes dry that it's toast. I've not read one single thing that would indicate otherwise so I'm interested to hear why you would say there is nothing wrong with it.

There might be a difference between a "new dried probe" and a "old, used, dried probe" I don't know neither, want to hear an opinion as well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Milwaukee says that's how they ship them. Copied from their FAQ:
<span style="color: Red">
Why does my new pH probe have some type of salt around the cap..?</span>

Salt build up around the probe when it is new is from probe protective shipping solution, and it is normal to see crusting around the protective cap. Rinse the salt off and let the probe soak for an hour in 4.01 calibration solution, storage solution or bottled water, then follow the calibration procedure instructions.

Man, thats confussing. Im going to go ahead and try out the method and compare it to my apex ph probe. If they are same guess it will work. I'll let ya'll know :)

Came home, soaked the ph probe in the RODI weater for about an hour, and calibrated in the solution and compeleted the process and it is way off. Not sure about the ORP probe either. Anyways, I will return it to Milwaukee for replacement. SO in my opinion, it dont work. Any other thoughts?

project1004;962481 wrote: Can you explain? Couldnt find any info online.

porpoiseaquatics;962483 wrote: Yes please explain. I've read a million times that if a pH probe ever goes dry that it's toast. I've not read one single thing that would indicate otherwise so I'm interested to hear why you would say there is nothing wrong with it.

Hahaha. Been busy working. Great to see interest in this!

Since the cap is still on the probe, the bulb will be coated with potassium chloride crystals, protecting the bulb. You'll need to soak the probe in cal solution overnight. Rinse and calibrate the probe with fresh cal solutions the next day. This procedure is the same if it were a probe you bought today.

If you store the probe on rodi water or store it without the potassium chloride and THEN let it dry, the probe is toast.

This applies to $50 & $1000+ probes. Just yesterday I had to next day air a $500 probe to a client who decided to wash off the crystals and let it dry overnight so it'll be clean when he puts it into action! :doh:

heathlindner25;962592 wrote: everybody's waiting for an explanation....

Undo the calamity that is your mammaries! Just got to it.

project1004;962591 wrote: Came home, soaked the ph probe in the RODI weater for about an hour, and calibrated in the solution and compeleted the process and it is way off. Not sure about the ORP probe either. Anyways, I will return it to Milwaukee for replacement. SO in my opinion, it dont work. Any other thoughts?

Make sure you're using fresh solutions.

Back