Is It Safe...

kirkplunkett

Market
Reaction score
Is it safe to use standard chicken wire (like what you find at Home Depot) to cover a gap in the top of a Saltwater Aquarium?

This will probably be a short term fix until I find something that WON'T rust, but I wasn't sure if it would cause any immediate problems if used for about a month.

My Orange Diamond Sleeper Goby jumped last night, and now I'm really concerned that my Snowflake Moray Eel is gonna do the same. It's just a 1.5" gap behind the glass top, but the Goby managed to find it... So, I've gotta get something on there QUICK!

Can you make something out of egg crate that will fit? I'm not a huge fan of putting rust-able things near the tank.

Chicken wire has HUGE gaps. I had a goby leap through egg-crate and get all crispy on top of it. Egg crate would be better until you can get some mesh from Acroholic =)

I agree, but I just need something there quick. I'm not sure if egg-crate will work, but it's worth a shot. I know where I can get some, but the chicken wire is at the house. I won't have the opportunity until tomorrow to do anything else... I work until 6 and have a show to play at 8, so it won't be until tomorrow evening.

Do you think it would hurt for just on day?

I can't find anything else online other than egg-crate. I was hoping to find something a little more low profile... Like a bendable mesh of some sort that is coated with vinyl or plastic.

Edit: The chicken wire I have has squares less than a half inch. And what is this mesh you speak of from Acroholic?

It won't hurt for a day. In a pinch I've used cardboard.

Press and seal wrap works in a punch as well. Put it around the open spot and then poke a few holes in it

Chicken is galvanised which would slow the rusting but I sure wouldn't want galvanise in my tank.

This shouldn't be IN the tank, but "near". Personally I'd probably find something else overnight (cardboard - press & seal) and then something better/more permanent tomorrow.

You can get the plastic gutter cover from Home Depot or Lowes. Comes in rolls of 6" x 15' (I think). The openings are a little smaller than chicken wire and it won't rust.

AquariumAddiction;799940 wrote: You could also use the light cover for drop ceiling. The grate is 1/4" x 1/4" and can be cut with kitchen sheras to fit your opening. Looks like the same thing people use for frag racks.

yea thats what most ppl in this hobby call egg crate even though it has nothing to do with eggs lol.

Back