Is my Koralia 3 too big for my 45?

jdabs

Market
Reaction score
I just put a Koralia 3 in my 45 gallon tank to replace the Top Fin Power Head 50. It is sure pushing the water around. I just wanted to get someone elses opinion on if the Koralia 3 is too much flow for my tank or not. Thanks for you help!

Inhabitants? I would say you could do 2. Definately not too much flow.

Thanks for the info! I have 2 Percula clowns, 1 yellow tang, 4 chromis and a Mandarin. I've also got some assorted mushrooms, green star polyps, zoas and a BTA. Whould I point it in a specific direction? Should it be closer to the top of the tank? Sorry for all of the silly questions, just trying to get it right. Thanks!

Assuming you have sand, point it SLIGHTLY upward from the middle of the tank to direct the flow away from the sand and help in o2 exchange. If you have crushed coral, put it midway down in the tank pointing parallel to the floor.

I typically use two and put them on opposite sides toward the front and point them down and toward the back.
othercard347.jpg
alt="" />

id bounce it off the wall of the tank if something is getting to much flow.

Thanks for everyone's input! I guess I'll keep playing with it and maybe look at getting another one for the other side too.

I had two 3s and two 1s in my 45 and did not have a problem with too much flow.

I upgraded a low flow to a korilla 3, mu mushrooms hated it. I have a 2 in one corner and a 3 in the other, if I keep the 3 on the mushrooms shrivel and my leather booms, while if I leave it off, mu mushrooms boom, and the leather shrivels...lol. Some corals to not like high flow (some softies)

I had a 2 and a 3 in a 25g tank. That's 1450gph in a 25g tank with a toadstool, sps, lps, and 5 clams.

With circulation pumps, unless you're aiming them at the sand, you can't have too much, IMO.

Back