Is my Mag 9.5 impeller broken?

kirkwood

Market
Reaction score
My Mag 9.5 is having issues. Sometimes when I turn the power off/on the pump will not restart. Almost like it gets stuck. This started about a month ago. I realized that power was going to the pump but the impeller was locking up sometimes, preventing proper operation. I pulled the pump out last week, figuring it needed a good cleaning. So I pulled the pump apart to look at the impeller, and with this being my first Danner, it was different than what I expected to see. Since I never looked at the impeller when I first got the pump (2nd hand) I don't know if the impeller is damaged.

This is hard to describe but the impeller was one single piece but the blade could be turned both clockwise or counterclockwise only a few rotations before it would lock. I figured I could further disasseble the impeller to see what the blockage was but there was no way to further disassemble. I inspected the impeller for some kind of break or anything that looked damaged but I could not find anything. So I gave all the components a vinegar bath, brushed off all debris and reassembled the pump.. It started back up fine. After a few days of turning the pump off/on several times a day for feeding and tank maint, the pump began failing and making lots of impeller noise at startup. It sounded like Koralia on steroids. Koralia owners know its the sound the pump makes when the impeller starts in the wrong direction before the grill blocker corrects the impeller to spin in the right direction. The last startup the impeller was banging around for 10 seconds before it started pumping water normally. So I haven't turned the pump off since.

So I am wondering do I have a broken impeller? Or is something else broken??

Kirkwood;1013527 wrote: My Mag 9.5 is having issues. Sometimes when I turn the power off/on the pump will not restart. Almost like it gets stuck. This started about a month ago. I realized that power was going to the pump but the impeller was locking up sometimes, preventing proper operation. I pulled the pump out last week, figuring it needed a good cleaning. So I pulled the pump apart to look at the impeller, and with this being my first Danner, it was different than what I expected to see. Since I never looked at the impeller when I first got the pump (2nd hand) I don't know if the impeller is damaged.

This is hard to describe but the impeller was one single piece but the blade could be turned both clockwise or counterclockwise only a few rotations before it would lock. I figured I could further disasseble the impeller to see what the blockage was but there was no way to further disassemble. I inspected the impeller for some kind of break or anything that looked damaged but I could not find anything. So I gave all the components a vinegar bath, brushed off all debris and reassembled the pump.. It started back up fine. After a few days of turning the pump off/on several times a day for feeding and tank maint, the pump began failing and making lots of impeller noise at startup. It sounded like Koralia on steroids. Koralia owners know its the sound the pump makes when the impeller starts in the wrong direction before the grill blocker corrects the impeller to spin in the right direction. The last startup the impeller was banging around for 10 seconds before it started pumping water normally. So I haven't turned the pump off since.

So I am wondering do I have a broken impeller? Or is something else broken??

I had the same problem with a mag 5 once and found out it was the impeller housing (piece that screws on the front). I ordered a replacement part for under $5.

pictures would be more helpful. I've taken apart many Mag pumps and never seen one where the impeller couldn't be removed. If that is in fact the case with yours, it sounds to me like the magnet has expanded and if you don't remove and replace it now, it will seize inside the housing and you'll never get it out.

I know what you're describing with the impeller and I'd say that's normal.

Nickh06 is right where I'd look - the volute - the plastic face plate that is held on by screws. 99% of the time, it cracks where the impeller shaft bushing sits, and that allows the impeller to 'play' and get stuck. If left uncorrected it can ruin the impeller and even the pump.

Take the plate off and look at it. I'll bet you that's the problem.

Jenn

Back