Is my pH too high now?

davidinga

Market
Reaction score
I used to struggle with chronic low pH of around 7.8 at the peak of the day on my 210gal. I then added a large outside airline that fed directly to my sro3000 skimmer and got my pH to jump to a surprising 8.1!

Now I have just this week added a powerhead that is set to run a few minutes every 4 hours to my ato that I run a low dose of kalk in constantly and now my pH is topping out at 8.35 according to my probe and I double checked that number with an api test kit and it appeared the same.
Do you think this pH level is ok?

FWIW my lps are actually looking better at this higher pH than they did at the lower pH.

Parameters

1.026ppm
78.9F
Alk 9.5
Cal 420
Mag 1600 (think my red sea kit is off since I have never dosed mag ever)

NO3 zero
PO4 no test kit

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Are you using the apex ph probe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
m

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the read an API test kit gives you. They are not known to be highly accurate. Have you calibrated your pH probe? If so, then I would consider that as accurate as it's going to get.

If I'm not mistaken, kalk will raise your pH. As for your other params, your Alk seems a little low to me if that is 9.5 dkh and not 9.5 ppm. If it's 9.5 ppm then you have 26.6 dkh and you'd be killing everything. Mag is certainly high if that kit is right. You might want to check it against another kit.

Finally...if your pH is 8.3 during the day...I wouldn't worry about it to much because it probably drops to 8.0 at night.

porpoiseaquatics;901181 wrote: I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the read an API test kit gives you. They are not known to be highly accurate. Have you calibrated your pH probe? If so, then I would consider that as accurate as it's going to get.

If I'm not mistaken, kalk will raise your pH. As for your other params, your Alk seems a little low to me if that is 9.5 dkh and not 9.5 ppm. If it's 9.5 ppm then you have 26.6 dkh and you'd be killing everything. Mag is certainly high if that kit is right. You might want to check it against another kit.

Finally...if your pH is 8.3 during the day...I wouldn't worry about it to much because it probably drops to 8.0 at night.

as long as your mag is 1350-1400, alk is 9 and steady....

I havn't tested ph but once every other year or so.....lol....don't chase PH.....Keep ALK & mag stable & calcium everyday.......

greggreenberg;901180 wrote: Are you using the apex ph probe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1">now Free</a>[/QUOTE]

Reef Angel pH probe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Back