Is My Return Pump Too Small?

joeyprice

Reaction score
I have a Varios 4, I love it. Dead silent. It seems to be moving plenty of water, but I've been reading stuff that says I'm probably only getting 400 GHP after height loss etc. and now I'm thinking its too small.
What do you guys think? Some boards are saying 10x volume, which seems insane to me, it would be blowing stuff all over the place. I'm going to add a RedSea Gyre if BRS ever ships the stupid thing so
I don't think that I need to count on the return for flow.

What size is the tank?

As far as return flow a lower turnover rate is just fine, I this BRS did a video that suggests something like 3x turnover. Some people use a massive pump to create all the flow for the system which can lead to micro bubbles and noises from the sump from excessive flow. Using powerhead to generate extra circulation is very helpful.

Yeah, keep in mind with circulation there are 2 types that people sometimes use interchangeably or combine. There’s flow from the return, and circulation from the power heads in the tank. While it’s not an exact science, most people shoot for between 3x-5x flow from the return. More than that can create bubbles.

As for total circulation (from power heads and return), many people do 10x-50x and beyond. It really depends what’s in the tank. SPS will want more flow than LPS and soft, since they have fewer mechanisms to feed themselves or keep themselves free of algae. I usually play around and adjust to a level where the soft corals are moving without being blown like crazy.

One positive about using power heads to generate flow is they can give a random/wave flow, which can help the growth of some coral (it’s more natural).

Good luck!!

In ‘typical’/single floor installations, aim for ~10x the tank volume per hour, in maximum pump output.

Here’s why-

A good rule of thumb for typical installations is about 4-5 feet from sump/pump to display. After deducting for that head loss & the resistance from pvc pipe & fittings/elbows, you are left with about 1/2 the typical rated flow of the pump.

So, as mentioned, the desirable net flow rates between a sump & tank is ~3-5x/hour. Which, if you followed the assumptions above, is about what you will get.

For installations between 2 or more floors in a building, the estimation & assumptions are more complex, but doable with similar knowledge. Especially an accurate height & a pump with greater head capability.

It's just a single floor, so sump to tank. It's a 100g and the pump is rated ~1k gph. If I am understanding correctly this is OK (barely) as you want the rating to be 10x, not the actual results. Correct?

Per my comments, your pump is correctly sized, imo.

Fwiw, a Varios is what’s going on my new build. Good choice!

Most don’t count on returns for significant ‘in tank’ flow. That’s what powerheads are for.

Last edited:
You should count the return from the sump as it's own gph and not include it with in with the display flow. So with three to five hundred gph you're good on a 100.

With powerheads shoot for 1000 to 2500gph, lower for LPS/Softy and go higher for mixed reef. Max it out for SPS dominate.

I'm a word, yes, your return pump is large enough.

Back