Is my torch in trouble? (pic inside)

davidinga

Market
Reaction score
My torch that is like 6 months old and hasn't been moved in that time has some pieces turning clear on the under side (shaded shadow area) that I just noticed.

The only changes I could attribute to this might be that it's getting more flow from my new wp60 but is not crazy hard flow hitting him so not sure that's the issue.

Does it look like somethings wrong in the pic? Notice the lower portion on the right where the pieces are not colored anymore...

8e7y5are.jpg
alt="" />

Stats:

1yr old 210 gal mixed reef w/20ish fish
Leds
8.21pH
79.7f
Alk 9.8
Cal 430
Mag 1280
Kalk ato
No gfo/gac past few months

I have also been feeding heavy for a week now with 5 new fish (some are reclusive and slow eaters) so maybe my phosphates are high? I don't have a test kit for that but all the other LPS seem fine as does nems and sps...

Unless your torch recedes, I wouldn't worry. Maybe it's new growth or the flow from your wp60's is exposing tentacles underneath. Or check if another coral is close by and stinging it.

My Duncan (while not a Torch) does the same crazy thing from time to time. Not sure why. I freaked a little the first few times it did it. Now, it's just part of the life of Duncan I guess.

Lack of color in the shaded part of the colony = not enough light.

Try moving it. Just don't put the pale bit in super intense light or it won't be able to cope with it.

Jenn

I had a very healthy gold torch that died after my clowns made it their home....

Redirected the flow and it still degrading it seems. More of it is lost pigment in the same area :-(

Is the bleachy part on a separate branch than the healthy part?

If so, you could always frag it and try moving the bleachy bit to another part of the tank. It doesn't look like it's past the point of no return.

Jenn

Separate branch.

I just flipped it so the recessed part is now getting more light; will see if that helps it....

You have nothing to lose at this point. That lesser bit will wither eventually if you don't do something.

I'm a total noob... but I'm stumped.. it looks fine in the pictures to me.. I don't see anything unsettling.. maybe I don't know what to look for

OceanDeep85;971746 wrote: I'm a total noob... but I'm stumped.. it looks fine in the pictures to me.. I don't see anything unsettling.. maybe I don't know what to look for

The head on the bottom of the colony that looks more white in color.

Same thing happened on the shaded area of a LPS colony I just acquired (Duncan)

Back