Is my whip fin wrasse wierd or what.....

spike

Sponsor
Reaction score
I bought him from the the gentleman at Keen reef. Man, that Victor could sell ice to Sara Palin.:lol2: My experiences with wrasses have been limited to 6-lines. But this guy acts nothing like a 6-line. Victor told me he would hide in rocks awhile till he was used to the tank. He hit the water and moved to the front of the tank. I do not think he ever goes into the rocks until bedtime. Always swimming in the front of the tank, except for the time he made it into my overflow. Told, like most wrasses he would also a picky eater at first. He has ate like a pig since I brought him in. But I feel the most unusual thing about this fish is his appetite for algae and nori. I thought wrasses were more into meat. He attacks the nori clip just like the tangs, sitcking his head in between the powder Brown and the Hippo. Also if I decide to scape some algae from the tank glass he is within inches of the scraper scarfing up what comes off the blade. He is some wierd a@@ fish.

this is normall mine eat it all the time ... i have a lineatus that doesnt want to eat anything but pellets ...as long as it is eating and active youll be fine ....now post a pic

My sixline loves the nori. He watched my tang go to town on it for a week or so, and now he is right up there at the clip with the tang when I feed nori.

Matt

Eating nori is pretty normal for most wrasses. From my understanding, plant matter is a common part of their diet in the wild.

Some fairy wrasses are reclusive and others are not. I think it has a lot to do with whether they are deepwater or not. The deeper they come from the shier they seem to be... at least that's what I've noticed in my tank.

I guess my only past wrasse experience was with the 6-line. He went in and out of reef rock, and never fed of nori.

Well, sounds like you lucked out because a wrasse that eats well, especially a varied diet with meats and veggies, will likely be a healthy one. I would like to see a pic of him!

corvettecris;222107 wrote: Well, sounds like you lucked out because a wrasse that eats well, especially a varied diet with meats and veggies, will likely be a healthy one. I would like to see a pic of him!

If I could catch him not moving. Or when he is flaring his fins.

Great choice BTW. They are really striking. When a wrasse spreads their fins, its called "flashing". Sometimes they will change color when they are flashing and then they look unreal as the colors will simply dazzle you.

Back