Is outside air helpful to a fish room?

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
I've seen some posts here on ARC where some reefers have a collection hose going to outside to bring in fresh air.

1. Is there a specific size tubing or pvc pipe that you direct outside your fish room to bring in fresh air?

2. What are the benefits [if any] for doing this external (outside) collection of fresh air?

3. I would be interested any pros/cons you have experienced with bringing in fresh air into your fish room.

4. Do you close off the fresh air or do you leave the collection point open 24/7/365?

Wannabee

1. Nope... I use airline tubing and an air pump to put fresh air directly into my sump. But if you were looking specifically at a fish room, I would use a pipe around 120 mm so I could hook a computer fan up to it.

2. Increase ph of your tank. Also potentially decreased humidity in your fish room

3. You have to make sure you do not spray pesticides and fertilizers around the pipe. Some also run carbon on the pipe to filter outside stuff from coming inside. Pollan becomes a problem too.

4. I leave mine up all year. It COULD cool my tank is the cold winter but I have a good heater.

Is outside air helpful to a fish room?

Absolutely!!

I use a external fan with a dehumidistat that has two fans and they're reversible. This helps keep the humidity levels and smell down in my sump room. Currently I have fresh air blowing in on one fan and the other fan is sucking the bad air out. This is one of the best investments I've made since moving everything to a sump room. Beside that, It keeps the wife off my back since the room doesn't smell anymore.

Here's the unit I installed. Very easy to install and it's not very loud.

a>

Back