Is the biocube a good tank for small reef system or a 55 gal standard?

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
I had to take down my tank @1 year ago and was thinking of getting back into the hobby. My options are:
a standard 55gal tank drilled with a 20 gal sump, and some pc lights(which I will probably have to change if I go this route

a biocube 29gal this also has pc with a couple led lights

Most of my SW tanks have had FOWLR and a couple corals.
I'm wanting to build from the ground up a nice reef system.

Would either of those systems work or if not what would you suggest?

Jamos5790;1015439 wrote: I had to take down my tank @1 year ago and was thinking of getting back into the hobby. My options are:
a standard 55gal tank drilled with a 20 gal sump, and some pc lights(which I will probably have to change if I go this route

a biocube 29gal this also has pc with a couple led lights

Most of my SW tanks have had FOWLR and a couple corals.

Would either of those systems work or if not what would you suggest?

If you are wanting to do a reef tank, I would go with the drilled 55 gallon w the sump. This setup will give you over twice the water volume as the bio cube and will offer you a lot of upgrade options under the tank. Plus you will have a lot more area to aquascape with that 55.

My son's BioCube 29 is supporting a brain, candy cane, zoas, polyps, GSP, two clowns, bi-color blenny, watchman goby. He's got pods out the wazoo and as long as the lights are replaced ever 6 to 9 months, it's been as stable as Stone Mountain.

With all of that in mind, his tank was our first tank.
We quickly ran out of space and upgraded to a Red Sea 250 (66 gallon) tank.

I am sticking with the principle of having a larger water volume leads to more stability. I vote the 55.

I do, however, predict you upgrading again in the near future because of the constraints of the 12" deep footprint. Maybe save a little while longer and get a reef ready 75 gallon.

40 breeders make nice little tanks also for not much money.

jbdreefs;1015480 wrote: i do, however, predict you upgrading again in the near future because of the constraints of the 12" deep footprint. Maybe save a little while longer and get a reef ready 75 gallon.

^+1

JBDreefs;1015480 wrote: I am sticking with the principle of having a larger water volume leads to more stability. I vote the 55.

I do, however, predict you upgrading again in the near future because of the constraints of the 12" deep footprint. Maybe save a little while longer and get a reef ready 75 gallon.

Yeah the footprint was why I was thinking of going with the biocube because it is 20 inches deep which a 75 is only 18 and the 55 is just 12. The 12in is definitely limiting when aquascaping. Also it would fit in more places in the house( I'm not sure where I'm going to put it yet).

I already have the 55, it is broken down in storage building but the biocube I can get for what seems like a great deal@$220 which also comes with the in sump reefugium.

I would go with a 40 breeder - you can usually pick them up for around $20-40. Real nice reef footprint too.

Of the two tanks you listed, I would probably go with the biocube because of the footprint.

My biocube works nicely. I have the HQI lighting in mine so a I am able have an anemone, 2 clowns, wathcman Goby, Anthias, zoas, torch, hammer, frogspawn, xenia, Acans, birds nest, toadstool (need to frag this soon), favia...etc. When I get tired of what I have I sell it and then add somethign new. I am limited on space now, but this setup has worked well for the last year. It's also less maintenance for me than the 90 or 120 I used to have. small 1-2 gallon water changes biweekly and 5 gallon water change monthly. The water changes are much easier also. I have a simple filtration - just a media rack with filter, purigen and chemi-pure. Small Tunze DOC Skimmer 9001. One Vortech MP10.

Very Happy with this - beautiful tank to have and less maintenance to keep. Plus the generator the other day kept eveything in the tank running and then some..:)

Thanks!

Also - added a couple of these to the inside of the top for beautiful night viewing...

cat-36-catid-300015

Jamos5790;1015439 wrote:

Based on that statement alone I would advise going the 55gal & sump route but consider making that a 75gal as suggested earlier. I think the Biocube (nice tank) will leave you wanting more and regretting you didn't go larger.

Unless your strategy is to get the Biocube to start then need the bigger tank and end up with 2 tanks, I have a 75gal and a 28 gal nanocube - nice combo.

dball711;1015524 wrote: Based on that statement alone I would advise going the 55gal & sump route but consider making that a 75gal as suggested earlier. I think the Biocube (nice tank) will leave you wanting more and regretting you didn't go larger.

Unless your strategy is to get the Biocube to start then need the bigger tank and end up with 2 tanks, I have a 75gal and a 28 gal nanocube - nice combo.

Lol that would probably happen, way back when I had 5 tanks 3 FW and 2 SW FOWLR now just have small FW.

If you're looking for an all in one system that's nice and clean then I would go with the Biocube. Red sea max 130 would be an even better option if cash wasn't an issue. If you're looking for a custom build then a 75g with sump and all the toys would be a better option. It will allow you to go longer period before you want a bigger tank.:D

If your looking for an even bigger all in one system then a red sea max 250 could be considered.

I'm relatively new to the hobby (and new here), but i've been very happy with my BioCube 29. Even with the stock-issued lights and filtration (the only addition being a phosphate-reducing pack in the chamber), i've been successful in keeping many different types of coral. It's a great choice for a "plug and play" type of system.

Well I think I'm going to go with the 55, mainly cause I already have it. I think I'm going to change the lighting.

Lol I now have changed my mind cause I found an awesome place to fit the biocube in my living room where I was going to have to have the other elsewhere, which I still might start it up also.

So BIOCUBE it is!

Back