Is there a bio pellet primer?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
I got a phosban reactor a while back and haven't done anything with it. Similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-Fishies-ATLPBR150-PhosBan/dp/B0006JM0KI">https://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-Fishies-ATLPBR150-PhosBan/dp/B0006JM0KI</a>

My original goal was to run bio pellets in it, but to be honest I don't even know where to start. Most of the YouTube videos just talk about how to plumb one up and differences in models.

Has anyone seen a decent primer on this? Is bio pellets the best thing to use? Or should I just use it for phosban and carbon?

I have it plumbed into my return line for the source, then I was just going to leave the output back into the return chamber.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Start with 1/4 recommended number of pellets and slowly increase to fill amount over a couple of weeks. You will probably need a separate pump to run your reactor. Pellets should be tumbling,not flying around, which requires a good bit of flow. You can also buy bacteria additives and bacteria food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't think it'll work on my return pump with a valve on it to adjust flow?

60 gallon cube... I actually don't know my pump. My dc9000 failed the other night

If it's a 1200gph pump, maybe. Mine runs off of a mag 7 but I'm taking it offline because I built an algae scrubber that I don't have to buy pellets for

So what should I look out for? What are the down sides?

Price of pellets, they are always shrinking and disappearing because bacteria ways them. Just mane sure you can see them moving.

Honestly if your tank is finished cycling you shouldn't need any bacteria. As long as there is good for through the sump and the reactor you will have plenty of bacteria. Soak your pellets for a day before using them or they will float.

Make sure the outlet for the reactor is directed into the skimmer intake.

Ok.But I gotta ask why. Most of the setups I saw (granted it was on YouTube) was going directly into the tank.

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/686APhuzPNo<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Just my $.02 - I tried biopellts for about 6 months earlier last year and took them offline. They kept my nitrates and phosphates at 0.00, literally which prevented color in many corals and resulted in a generally unhealthy system. My bioload is very low at this point so that might be part of the problem.

My bigger concern was the biopelet residue everywhere and frequent cleaning the reactor needed. If you decide to go this way, IMO, you must run the output of the reactor into your skimmer. NOT optional.

If I try another carbon dosing system in the future, it will be vodka.

So what I'm hearing is that I just need more fish? Lol

I agree with the above post , if you are running a small bio load there is no need for them, I like the fact I can have more fish and feed more.

Back