Is there a pump like an Aqualifter that can handle more head pressure?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
OK, I ordered some stuff to set up a permanent ATO on my 24g soon-to-be seahorse tank. In order to keep it at 75 degrees the fan evaporates over a gallon per day. My mistake is on the 5 gallon jug I ordered...a MJ-1200 won't fit through the opening. I have an Aqualifter and rigged it up, and because the head pressure is around 3ft, the Aqualifter only puts out about a drop per second, meaning the pump would likely run for long periods of time every day. I don't really want to drop $90 on a dosing pump, I could probably see $40-$50 max for the pump I'm looking for. Either that, or a pump that can fit through a 61mm hole and handle 4 feet of head pressure (it would be in the container, so it's an extra foot).

Does such a pump exist?

Anyone have dimensions on a Tunze Osmolator pump? I have a 9v converter that I could hook it up to. It looks promising.

would one like this work?

a>

I don't think so, the head can only be 34" max on that one.

I found that the Tunze Osmolator pumps are 1.75" in diameter and can handle up to 7ft of head pressure. I already ordered one from BRS (couldn't wait, lol).

Now I'm wondering if I can make a DIY ATO like the ones on MLev's site, since it'll be a 9v power supply, instead of a 120v. Straight timer -> power supply -> float switch - Osmolator pump, and not need the relay...

So no one knows the last question? Can I run 9v and 1200mA through a float switch and avoid the whole relay situation, or will that cause it to fail? The float switch would be in the ground wiring for the Osmolator pump, and on a timer. After the timer trips, if the water is low, the float completes the ground circuit and the pump turns on.

I know lots of those relays from sites like
a> are rated at 12v anyways, and only there to prevent you from running large loads through the float switch, so it seems like it would work fine and be just as safe.

It will depend on the switch - I am running mine through a relay one type of switch always got stuck because it couldn't handle the load - the other switch still runs on it today....

Ok. Well I rigged up one of Melev's ATO's one night and ran the float switch on 110v and it worked (I was really bored, it was raining so bad I couldn't watch TV b/c satellite dish got knocked around).

I guess I'll see when the pump gets here. I may use a 12v automotive relay anyways so I can hook up some orange and blue LEDs to a project box for "on" and "off". I want everything mounted on the ATO container so it's nice and neat, just a float switch and a plug running away, everything else in the box.

Haha, well I want it to go inside the stand so it's an all inclusive looking kinda deal. I already ordered the Osmolator pump...

After thinking about it, I could have just as easily gotten a 5g bucket with a lid and used that, but after spending $10 on the container and 1/4" bulkhead for it, I really want to use it, and for safety's sake, I would have ordered an ATO kit from http://www.autotopoff.com">www.autotopoff.com</a> anyways if using a MJ pump.

You have some horizontal float switches sitting around, Andy? I want to make a switch mount using some epoxy coated magnets instead of the HOB bracket I currently have.

Jeff, I can give you back the float switch you gave me.... I haven't actually used it yet!

1200ma at 12v is around 14 watts. Some float switches are rated for ~50 watts but the spike of current when the pump starts can be much higher and can easily burn out the tiny reed switch in the float switch. I would use a relay if I were you. See link below for more info.

a>

seems like a silly question (not sure if it makes a difference, as I don't have an aqua lifter yet) :

does raising the aqua lifter pump change the flow..? mount it on the top of the stand in the back and have a longer tube down into your ATO reservoir, while the outlet tube is smaller.. (not sure if the 36" limit on the aqua lifter is "total height" or just "discharge height")

Don't know, but I've tried it with the pump on the container, and the pump on top of the tank. Either way, it's just a trickle and I fear it would be unable to keep up with my evap needs without running for long periods of time. Side note, I may have an Aqualifter for trade here soon, lol.

My MJ1200 can't push through like 4' of 1/4" tubing and a check valve.
Anyone a suggestion how to overcome that? My aqualifter fails immediately, what is "one step up" from a MJ as far as price and power goes?

Robb, the Tunze would be a step up from a MJ, IMO. Can handle 7' of head pressure, reasonably priced, and all you need is a plug in converter (runs between 9v and 12v).

Back