Is this a reef safe fish?

fabbss

Market
Reaction score
I have been over to the LFS and my wife is really liking the morish idol. I have been told that the type from hawaii is not as likely to nip at SPS and other corals. Just wanted to check in with the wisdom of some of the members here and see if this fish would be a safe choice for my reef tank?

Thanks

A very difficult fish to keep alive for the long term. Seems like most will not eat very well.

Not really a good idea. Some will say anything to sell a fish. So I say good choice in asking here first.

fabbss;336872 wrote: I have been over to the LFS and my wife is really liking the morish idol. I have been told that the type from hawaii is not as likely to nip at SPS and other corals. Just wanted to check in with the wisdom of some of the members here and see if this fish would be a safe choice for my reef tank?

Thanks

I'm thinking its the variation of the henioca (sp?) or banner fish that is reef safe, but the safe kind is rare in the trade, and hard to distinguish apart.

a mooridh idol is not likely to survive. they do<u> very </em></u>poorly in captivity (with notable exceptions)

for some stores, by the time the idol hits their system, its playing hot potato to get it out so to speak. I had a store try to encourage me to go that way once when I first started out.

Are Black and White Heniochus Reef Safe? If so, that would be an alternative if your wife likes the look of the Moorish Idol...

I think they are cool fish, owned one years ago, but thats when I did FO.

Thanks everyone. I am in the store alot and I noticed that in their display tank that the morish idol they use to have in there was gone. I asked why they took it out and owner told me that he was picking at stuff. I think I am going to have to stay away from this one and lean my wife towards something else. Good, question dakota I would to know that as well.

I agree with all the above. Moorish idols have terrible survival rates in captivity. I personally hate to see them even offered in stores. The Heniochus</em> are much easier to keep alive and look very similar to the Idols, as Dakota and Rickey said.

as far as I know, they're just like some butterflies, in terms of just going for feather dusters. But I distinctly remember hearing that one is safe and one isn't (to what extent I'm not sure), but they look the same (at least to me), and the one that isn't is far more common to find in a pet store.

From The Marine Center;</em>

This is one of the more durable of the butterflyfish species, and one of a few butterflies that are generally reef safe. It is a very active fish and should be housed in a tank of at least 55 gallons. It will tolerate members of its own kind in the same aquarium, as long as they are introduced to the tank at the same time. Members of a captive group will form a dominance hierarchy. Individuals fight for dominance by butting foreheads and trying to push each other backwards and when they display at each other. It will sometimes clean other fishes. This is a zooplankton feeder that can be housed with corals and other ornamental invertebrates. An occasional individual may nip at Xenia or other soft corals. Most specimens are around 2.5-3.5" Shown are huge specimens which have dorsal "streamers" longer than those of smaller specimens.

Long ago, they were actually taughted as The Poor Man's Moorish Idol </em>

Diphreutes=reef safe
acuminatus=not reef safe.

I believe the Hawaiian specimens are all diphreutes
quoting raj (refering to the scientific name) from another post

And, a pic

imgres
alt="" /></a>

Cool, thanks for the pic. They look very similar to the morish, I am going to influence the wife.

I was considering a heniochus (dieuphretes) for a while after reading on them. I have been told since that they aren't easy to keep... not too hard, but definitely not an easy fish. I've decided to do more homework.

And yes, EVERY one I've ever seen in a store has been the acuminatas, i.e. the wrong one. Never seen a dieuphretes in a store (and I've been paying attention).

I also read that they are reef safe with caution, </em>not a sure thing.

Back