Is this acrylic or something else?

rjpotts

Reaction score
I have a vast supply of tinted, clear, and black plastic sheets of some unknown plastic. Is there any way of telling what it is? No name brand on it as far as I can see. It all came off of telecom cabinets. Just trying to figure out if it's usable for a DIY sump, frag racks, overflow, etc.. Thickness from 1/8-3/8".

Thanks,
R.J.

Pretty sure it is lexan or similar material. I have worked in the telecom industry for 16 years and know exactly what your talking about.

I knew I'd heard it called Lexan before. Is that a reef safe material? Or even a worthwhile option if it is safe? Or is it a brand name and it could be anything from poly to a time bomb?
cj22009 who do/did you work for in that industry if you don't mind?
Thanks again,
R.J.

Yes it is reef safe I would clean it good with rubbing alcohol before using it and lexan is a brand name. The only reason I think it is acrylic is they use it for shatter resistance.To test to see if it is get some acetone and pour on a piece you dont care about it will start to disolve it. To answer your question I work for Level3 communications have been there 6 years I worked for the state of Ga for 5 years and company called Volt telecom before the state. Where about in Auburn are you?

Ethridge road right across from ingles. In wynfield subd. My mom owns North Ga Telecom if you've ever heard of it.
Just saw you're in auburn too. Where about?

Edit: Btw if shatter resistance is the key this is almost def acrylic. The approved method of getting it out of the cabinets is any mix of kicking, hammering, or pushing it out with a forklift when it's stubborn and I've never seen it even chip a corner. I got a piece in my truck, I'm gonna go acetone it.

I know where that is I am off kilcrease across the tracks lol. Never heard of it but most people have never heard of Level3 either lol we own the worlds largest fiber optic backbone pretty big company

You're right, never heard of Level3. NGT does asset disposition/recovery and remarketing. I apparently don't have any plain acetone. Just some of the wife's nail polish remover mixed with a bunch of fruity smelling stuff. Looked like it etched the surface a little though before it evaporated.

You guys may have gotten some stuff from us we have co's all over the world. But if finger nail polish remover etched it it is probably acrylic

Back