Is this normal hosting behavior?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I have a pair of Picasso Clowns that have been hosting in a long tentacle anemone for a couple of months. During the last couple of days I have noticed that they have been venturing further from the anemone .

Now one of them is hanging out in a RBTA at the other end of the 90 gallon tank. Is it normal for clowns to host with different anemones? I'm wondering if this indicates a problem between my Picassos or if something is wrong with the long tentacle anemone.

I'll attempt to add a picture just because it is cute.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
907581=49326-image.jpg
>
907581=49326-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I dont think its an issue because mine do it also. Im curious to see what the experts say though.

Totally normal. My clowns usually stick together during the day and host my rbta and several of my corals. My female usually sleeps in the anemone while my male prefers to sleep in the hammer coral.

Clowns do not host anemones at all. Some anemones, however, will host clownfish. :)

speciesdetail.cfm

stacy22;907863 wrote: Clowns do not host anemones at all. Some anemones, however, will host clownfish. :)

http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/hexacoral/anemone2/speciesdetail.cfm?genus=Heteractis&subgenus=&species=crispa&subspecies=&synseniorid=89&validspecies=Heteractis%20crispa&authorship=%28Hemprich%20and%20Ehrenberg%20in%20Ehrenberg%2C%201834%29"><span style="color: black">[I]Heteractis crispa</em></span></a><span style="color: black">[I], </em></span>[IMG]http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/hexacoral/anemone2/speciesdetail.cfm?genus=Heteractis&subgenus=&species=magnifica&subspecies=&synseniorid=83&validspecies=Heteractis%20magnifica&authorship=%28Quoy%20and%20Gaimard%2C%201833%29"><span style="color: black">[I]Heteractis magnifica</em></span></a><span style="color: black">[I], </em>and </span>[IMG]http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/hexacoral/anemone2/speciesdetail.cfm?genus=Stichodactyla&subgenus=&species=gigantea&subspecies=&synseniorid=147&validspecies=Stichodactyla%20gigantea&authorship=%28Forsk%E5l%2C%201775%29"><span style="color: black">[I]Stichodactyla gigantea</em></span></a> are natural hosts for [I]Amphiprion percula</em>. However, these clowns will often associate with different anemone hosts in our aquaria.[/QUOTE]

well now!

stacy22;907863 wrote: Clowns do not host anemones at all. Some anemones, however, will host clownfish. :)

You beat me to it :)

And it is not unusual for clowns to claim multiple anemones, even different species of anemone if the anemone is compatible with the clown.

Not all species of clowns will take to all species of anemone. There are the natural matches found in the wild, and there are the occasional exceptions that occur in our aquariums. Typically A. ocellaris and A. percula are not found in the wild, to reside with E. quadricolor (bubble anemones - any colour). In captivity it happens sometimes.

I've even seen a few clowns, on rare occasion, take to a Condylactus anemone - which is not even native to the same waters as the clowns. I've only seen A. clarkii, A. frenatus or melanopus (Clarks, Tomatos or Cinnamons) and a Maroon or two: Premnas biaculeatus.

I've seen one clown run herself ragged, trying to claim 2 anemones and prevent the other one from wallowing. "All your anemone are belong to us!" (Let's see who's old enough to know what that reference means!)

Jenn

It's very fascinating now. They are spending time in both as a pair or splitting up

They each need some, "me-time" :)

Or one anemone is the cottage... :lol:

I put 2 clowns in yesterday and they went straight to my hammer. Pretty cool. I wonder if it'll last though.
ga5etade.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using
m

It might if you don't have a host anemone. I had a pair of clowns for 11+ years. They never chose a host for the first few years, then, after being moved, they took to a Bubble Anemone and stayed with it for some years. When the tank was taken down, they were placed in a coral tank (no anemones) and they took to a Frogspawn.

Over the next 5 years their hosts would be sold (they were in a sell system), and they'd just move into another one, whatever species of Euphyllia was available. They seemed to prefer Frogspawn if one was there, but if not, Torch or Hammer would do. I always made sure there was at least one for them, and they spawned regularly with the presence of one.

Jenn

jennm;908921 wrote: you beat me to it :)

and it is not unusual for clowns to claim multiple anemones, even different species of anemone if the anemone is compatible with the clown.

Not all species of clowns will take to all species of anemone. There are the natural matches found in the wild, and there are the occasional exceptions that occur in our aquariums. Typically a. Ocellaris and a. Percula are not found in the wild, to reside with e. Quadricolor (bubble anemones - any colour). In captivity it happens sometimes.

I've even seen a few clowns, on rare occasion, take to a condylactus anemone - which is not even native to the same waters as the clowns. I've only seen a. Clarkii, a. Frenatus or melanopus (clarks, tomatos or cinnamons) and a maroon or two: Premnas biaculeatus.

I've seen one clown run herself ragged, trying to claim 2 anemones and prevent the other one from wallowing. "all your anemone are belong to us!" (let's see who's old enough to know what that reference means!)

jenn
all your base are belong to us!

Back