is this RTN on my milli frag

tbub1221

Reaction score
This popped white spot aprox (1/8") up in the last 24 hours .
How would you treat it or cut it to attempt saving it.
It's been growing about 20 days or so and encrusting nicely it today it seemed to make more mucus than usual and I fed nothing except fuel yesterday afternoon also I ubservd very little PE today as the photos show but that may be unrelated .

FWIW I had to trim 1/2" off my purple garf frag yesterday .
There nowhere near one another and I have no pests on them so I'm thinking perhaps the weather brings it on.

Parameters look as stable as they have been.
N03 5 , p04 0.02-.03 , salinity 35ppt dkh 8 , ph 8.1 , cal 450 , mag 1350 , temp 79.8
IMAG2780_2_zpsnkjws9u1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

IMAG2778-1-1_1_zpsgggxwjns.jpg
alt="" /></a>

THAT looks like a sting to me.

Check your alk bro

Edit: just in case it is tissue recession

Thanks for the replys guys I had though a sting first but I have no clue what got it .
I guess I'll know if it spreads.

My alkalinity drops through the week but it really doesn't get higher than 9 , and its been this way a few months
But I'm just using weekly wc and dose cal & mag I'm using io reef crystal what should I be doing different to get it a little higher
Before I ever had hard coral and didn't need to dose it was always on the high side of 12 on average.
Should I consider a buffer ?
I know kalk helps stabilize ph and alk but I have a small system and no room for a reactor .

I think it's more typical to dose cal and alk and rely on WC for mag.

That's my plan, anyway (two pumps)

JDavid;928664 wrote: I think it's more typical to dose cal and alk and rely on WC for mag.

That's my plan, anyway (two pumps)

Maybe I need to change salt then because my mag can't keep up without doseing , I don't use a doseing pump I just measure it out in 3ml increments with a syringe could that cause the swing , I could split the dose 2x times a day .

Tbub1221;928681 wrote: Maybe I need to change salt then because my mag can't keep up without doseing , I don't use a doseing pump I just measure it out in 3ml increments with a syringe could that cause the swing , I could split the dose 2x times a day .

I am using IORC salt and even when I missed a water change my MAG still didn't get below 1225. And that is on a system that consumes a good bit of ALK and CAL daily, dosing each 12x per day.

But going back to the millie, you would know better than anyone if there is even a remote chance it could have been stung. Nothing in your stated parameters would cause the TN your seeing.

I have a big bottle of kalk that I got in a bargain box but iv never used it.
I'm using io brand liquid cal added to the sump and brightwells magnesium added to sump aprox 30-45 minutes before cal goes in.

I was being lazy earlier when I said 8 but I went to my notebook I keep notes or ill end up forgetting or overdosing something.
Im using all red ea reef foundation kits except for a seachem p04 and an elose ph kit.This morning at 5:30am it was 8.4 I didn't check it after the dose.
After my wc its I see 9.5-9.8 and it slowly peters down.
I don't oftentimes re check unless something is very unbalanced or requires a larger than normal dose.
I'll begin checking a few hours after doseing.
Also Im not sure if its related but I get a little ph swing at night and when I check it early its 7.9 and later it looks like 8.1-8.2 its hard distinguishing sometime the closeness of a shade of brown.

Tbub1221;928697 wrote: I have a big bottle of kalk that I got in a bargain box but iv never used it.
I'm using io brand liquid cal added to the sump and brightwells magnesium added to sump aprox 30-45 minutes before cal goes in.

I was being lazy earlier when I said 8 but I went to my notebook I keep notes or ill end up forgetting or overdosing something.
Im using all red ea reef foundation kits except for a seachem p04 and an elose ph kit.This morning at 5:30am it was 8.4 I didn't check it after the dose.
After my wc its I see 9.5-9.8 and it slowly peters down.
I don't oftentimes re check unless something is very unbalanced or requires a larger than normal dose.
I'll begin checking a few hours after doseing.
Also Im not sure if its related but I get a little ph swing at night and when I check it early its 7.9 and later it looks like 8.1-8.2 its hard distinguishing sometime the closeness of a shade of brown.

If you are getting a ph swing from 7.9 to 8.4 I would think that is pretty significant for a 24 hour period. It is more manageable if it happens incrementally throughout the day but it sounds to me like maybe you are getting a quick ph bump when you are dosing your ALK. Your ALK jump from 8.4 to 9.8 is also a lot, considering that your probably had a jump after the ALK dose and another jump after the WC. I would make it a point not to increase your ALK by any more than 0.5kh at a single dose and no more than 1.0kh in a single day.

Also, I still can't understand why you need to dose MAG. I'm guessing that maybe the daily MAG depletion in a system is ~5ppm??

Kirkwood;928695 wrote: I am using IORC salt and even when I missed a water change my MAG still didn't get below 1225. And that is on a system that consumes a good bit of ALK and CAL daily, dosing each 12x per day.

But going back to the millie, you would know better than anyone if there is even a remote chance it could have been stung. Nothing in your stated parameters would cause the TN your seeing.

The last time something was stung it got a little hair algae on the exposed skeleton and it never healed eventually the frag eventually recessed to nothing but bone.
I think Brandon m told me to superglue it over , or should I cut the whole dead part off or leave it be ?

Adam this is one of the new ones I told you about the other week , I'd rather not add its skeleton to the cup of shame.
I have a cup 1/2 full of spa & lps frags that died in my care over the last 18months I recycle what I can as base rock or fraging soft coral

This is the headache that comes with small systems.

I don't run any macro algae at night to combat c02 building up and I believe that causes some ph swing.

I'd like to think its not really swinging that much but to be completely honest i can't distinguish the colors.
I'd like to invest in something more reliable perhaps go digital probably a hand held unit.
Ideally i guess ph probe and a controller would be best but that's not happening any time soon for me.

The mag dose isn't big its a ml per day i wasn't doseing daily and it was relatively stable for me but I was given advice to slowly ramp it up to 1400+ because I'm trying to maximize calcium growth so the daily dose isn't really needed if I want it at 1180-1260

I need to go read and re educate myself because I'm obviously doing something incorrect.

This is the purple garf I spoke of yesterday , it had a tiny spot RTN I cut it off Monday afternoon and over night it shredded , this was purple all the way to the glue at 7pm last night.

Another skeleton for the cup of failure.
IMAG2786-1_zpspg9womec.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Bummer. I am guessing here but if you are getting RTN in multiple pieces of sps and your parameters test in the acceptable range, then I would think this could be a stability issue. Like you said its a small system and quick swings can cause RTN.

I have a 10 bedside tank for qt frags, I've had a rose milli in there that has turned bright green and has big red polyps doing amazing. I don't dose that tank. All the corals are fine. Small systems don't need to be dosed. I think that is the source of the swings. I just run a power head, a reactor with po4x4 for phosphates.

I think its the alk perhaps.
I started bringing it up today @ half the dose from brs dose calculator and iv been adding it slowly at 1am it was 8.8

All my other sps has pe and looks fine even the Millie that has the mystery sting , the wound has not spread anymore

Fortunately it was only a 5-10$ frag piece

Back