ISO contractor

ptreef

Market
Reaction score
For those who saw my previous post, I moved to Jefferson and it’s time to restart another big system. I want to do an in-wall tank to preserve space in the living room. I need a contractor who can ensure the integrity of the wall or just to tell me it can’t be done so I can make other plans
Any recommendations?

It may be worth reaching out to Classic City Aquarium. @adamdaniel210 has done some pretty big setups over the years and he might know someone. Unfortunately they're on the South side of Athens but if I was in your position, I'd call and ask for Adam of Jimmy. Those are the 2 managers. I don't know how much the crew that works the front would know. Wish I has a better suggestion but it's all I got for Jefferson!

For those who saw my previous post, I moved to Jefferson and it’s time to restart another big system. I want to do an in-wall tank to preserve space in the living room. I need a contractor who can ensure the integrity of the wall or just to tell me it can’t be done so I can make other plans
Any recommendations?
Im guessing your talking does it have enough support. Or maybe in basement taking out a wall. Lmk what u need

It’s the wall between the garage and living room. My idea is that we reinforce the wall so that the tank is sitting in the garage and then the front panel is flush with the wall in the living room. The breaker box will also need to be moved over a couple feet

Oh i see. Well being a general contractor for 35 years. Thats gonna be very costly. Also putting in a microlamb beam roughly 16 feet. If i had to guess 15k to 18k. The rewire most expensive every homerun in panel has to have a junction box. But i would need to take a look. But even if i cant help do work due to semi retired. I can give you helpful advice

If there's no floor above that wall separating the living room and garage it "may" not be load bearing. If it is load bearing then, like Chuck said, it will need an engineered beam put in. Which isn't a simple task.

The breaker box will also be a big expense. It can be moved anywhere between a few inches to possibly a foot. Beyond that, almost every line to each breaker (the "homeruns") will have to be junction boxed and extended to be up to code. Some of the lines at the very bottom would probably be long enough to put in at the top of the new breaker box location at 2' away, but the majority would need a junction. That would be the better part of a day with no power to the house.

So what I’m hearing is I need to abandon ship on the thought of having a big tank or anything being in the wall at least. Unfortunately the living room is oriented in a way that I don’t have a great spot for a big tank

Oh i see. Well being a general contractor for 35 years. Thats gonna be very costly. Also putting in a microlamb beam roughly 16 feet. If i had to guess 15k to 18k. The rewire most expensive every homerun in panel has to have a junction box. But i would need to take a look. But even if i cant help do work due to semi retired. I can give you helpful advice
This is almost the exact quote I got when I wanted to do what you were thinking PT ($14.5k), I was going to use my garage and the wall in my dining room. Sadly I still have the tape down in the garage to remind me every time I walk in there lol. It was an 18 foot metal beam that supported the level above. I didn't want to spend that much money with it being shown in that room, had it been into my living room so I could actually see it more often I would have seriously considered it, but for the 1 night a week we all have time to eat together the cost outweighed the benefit. Now that my father passed away and isn't living in my basement, I will be able to do this large tank down there on concrete.

And it will probably be more than a day without power. Givin thes damn inspectors are so slow. ive put in over 1000 beams. And like adam said it may not be load bearing. But if it was my home i would not want 20 junction boxes just to move 2 foot. Im hoping you have other options. But if you need assistance lmk. I can come buy take a look. Or we might be able to do on the phone. With a few pics

So what I’m hearing is I need to abandon ship on the thought of having a big tank or anything being in the wall at least. Unfortunately the living room is oriented in a way that I don’t have a great spot for a big tank
This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions... lol
Big tanks in-wall or against a wall are a huge PITA to work in. Even though my tank hasn't had much work done in it yet, I can access every square inch without a snorkel or getting my armpits wet and it's 4' wide. That's the nice thing about a peninsula. You're welcome to stop by any time to see my setup and maybe come away with some ideas.

Without actually seeing your layout it's hard to offer suggestions. Is something similar you your last setup doable? Tank against the wall, sump on the other side. Or even the tank in another room?

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately this new house isn’t very accommodating for a large tank, but now I’m looking into what Adam suggested, a large tank against the wall with remote sump and frag system in the garage like my last tank was. However it does change my plans as I was going to go with a 120x48x25-30” tank. I won’t have the luxury of a wide tank like that but I may still go with up to 30” wide, possibly up to 144” long. The wall the tank would go on is about 17’ long

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately this new house isn’t very accommodating for a large tank, but now I’m looking into what Adam suggested, a large tank against the wall with remote sump and frag system in the garage like my last tank was. However it does change my plans as I was going to go with a 120x48x25-30” tank. I won’t have the luxury of a wide tank like that but I may still go with up to 30” wide, possibly up to 144” long. The wall the tank would go on is about 17’ long
If the wall is not load bearing, where does the breaker box fall on it.
Scratch that. You really don't want a wall of saltwater right next to the breaker box. That's just not a good idea at all. To the side and below it ain't that bad but the same height or higher is just asking for trouble.

I think your on the right track with the size and sump placement.

Back