Issue with Apex VDM module

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
This morning, my VDM module just started beeping and the LAN lights started blinking in time with the beep. It's pretty shrill. I first unplugged the LAN cable that goes out to my Tunze power supplies. It screamed steady then so I plugged that back in. Next, I unplugged the bus cable which comes in directly from the base unit. Of course, that cuts power so it stopped. I waited a couple of minutes in hopes of a reset but when I plugged it back in, it began beeping again.

Anybody had this issue or know what the cause might be? I'm gonna hate it if it's a bad module.

Well I found my own answer. It wasn't the VDM but the Tunze driver that was beeping/screaming. They are mounted right next to each other. The Tunze driver screams when the impeller stops moving to indicate a problem. Time to take the Tunze out of the tank and clean it.

porpoiseaquatics;1109281 wrote: This morning, my VDM module just started beeping and the LAN lights started blinking in time with the beep. It's pretty shrill. I first unplugged the LAN cable that goes out to my Tunze power supplies. It screamed steady then so I plugged that back in. Next, I unplugged the bus cable which comes in directly from the base unit. Of course, that cuts power so it stopped. I waited a couple of minutes in hopes of a reset but when I plugged it back in, it began beeping again.

Anybody had this issue or know what the cause might be? I'm gonna hate it if it's a bad module.

I didn't know the VDM could make noises with alarms.

Make a backup of your setup from the Classic webpage and select all when you do it. Now do the following.

1. With out making any other changes to what you have plugged in disconnect the VDM and go into the modules portion of the classic pages, note the VDM address and then delete that module.
2. Restart the full Apex.
3. Once restarted plug the VDM back in.
4. Go back to the modules page and verify it has the same address. If so reflash it's firmware.
5. Restore your backup, again selecting all.
6. Restart the Apex again.
7. Hopefully profit :)

Let us know if that worked. If not you should start a trouble ticket with Neptune.
Also I have an extra VDM that I'm looking to sell. It's brand new and I'd be happy to sell it for $70.

You should also disconnect all other network cables to the VDM when you do the above.
Don't rule out a bad cable or something your controlling with it going bad as well.

I did a search on Neptune's forum and couldn't find anything like this happening.

That's because it's not the VDM. I have a Tunze PH that is locked up. The drivers can tell when the impeller is turning. If it doesn't turn, the driver has an alarm. Nice feature but annoying! LOL! PH is out of the tank soaking right now.

Yeah, I see you replied while I was typing out my post and never saw it. lol

Glad you figured it out. Geeze between my electrical short in the tank today and your beeping Tunze what a day. Lol.

Bcavalli;1109296 wrote: Glad you figured it out. Geeze between my electrical short in the tank today and your beeping Tunze what a day. Lol.

Indeed! It's time for a drink. Oh wait...you already drank all the vodka. :doh:

Back