It this a tube worm or something else?

cymage

Supporting
Reaction score
I have these small growths on my rocks, but I don't know what they are. They are about 1/4" wide and have a tube sticking out of them that is 1/4" long. They are hard to the touch, and I have never seen anything come out of them. They are multiplying, and I want to know if I need to take action on them or not. There is a close up of one in the middle of the picture. Thanks!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Looks like vermetid snails. Do they excrete mucus during feeding time or at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - they do look similar to the pics of vermetid snails online. I have not seen them excrete anything. I will keep a closer eye during feeding/night. Assuming it is that, do I need to do anything?

They won't really hurt anything unless they get crazy out of control. A dab of superglue gel over the tube will kill it.

The mucus they put out will look stringy, about the thickness of a spider web (have to look closely). If you get a lot of them then it can get to be an eye sore. Also, with a lot of the mucus in the water column some of your coral may not extend their polyps.

ghbrewer;1055144 wrote: The mucus they put out will look stringy, about the thickness of a spider web (have to look closely). If you get a lot of them then it can get to be an eye sore. Also, with a lot of the mucus in the water column some of your coral may not extend their polyps.

I have those stringy things in my tank how to get rid of it.......sorry to step on your toes......cymage

No worries! I also read online that you can squeeze the tube with a pair of pliers and crush them. You just have to clean the pliers afterwards for the saltwater.

It could be an empty tube from a former vermatid snail. If you don't see any stringy web-like thing coming out of it periodically, it's probably already dead.

Jenn

Back