It's RO/DO Doody Time!

dave green

Market
Reaction score
After expanding the salon and doing some remodeling, we have wound up with a small break room with a water supply to it...

We're thinking about putting in a RO/DI system to provide top-off water for the 75 gallon (maybe eventually a salt-mixing station as well) and drinking water for a water cooler...

I'm thinking about a reservoir tank with a spigot/hose assembly for ease of filling jugs.

So.... where do I start? What am I looking for? What do I wanna do?

I've heard that you're not supposed to drink RO/DI water, but you could drink the waste water because it's filtered a least some, and you'd be conserving water, wouldn't that be great?

Yeah i heard that too. what you could do it a DI bypass from my understanding it is just a little valve on the hose before the DI.

I don't know enough about the systems to know about waste water... yipes!

Would the valve be between the RO and the DI so that the drinking water would be RO and the fish water would be RO/DI?

You can drink DI water, it's just going to taste bad due to the lack of minerals. I would not recommend drinking it if you are dehydrated but otherwise it is ok. If you want to make it taste better and make it not harmful for a person that is dieing of dehydration, just add some salt or a packet of runners minerals to it.

I really have no comments on what you're doing; only that I like your thread title.

This lady that helped me stabilize my tank and got me an RO/DI unit for cheap told me that she used an RO/DI unit for her drinking water and was hospitalized for lack of potassium, they thought she was a goner, but she pulled thorough after she started drinking regular water. I don't think RO/DI is a good idea...

corvettecris;205110 wrote: I really have no comments on what you're doing; only that I like your thread title.

Thanks, Chris! Yaa... gotta love typos... it was supposed to be "It's RO/DI Doody Time"

I wonder if I am dating myself with that reference...

Maybe a little but it is still funny. I wouldnt drink RO DI Water either. I have heard it actually draws minerals OUT of your bod since water tends to dissolve solids, and lacking any solids at all, it would ve very capable of doing so. I use my filter to make drinking water, but I only drink it after it has run through the sediment and 2 carbon filters. I bypass teh RO and DI. It tastes (to me) noticeably better and should still have plenty of minerals.

I think you can also consider drinking the RO waste water. "Waste" is a little bit of a turn off, but that doesnt mean it is like icky or anything...

Back