I've never had crabs , Have you ?

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
What's a good non aggressive grab that isn't typically a jerk , eats algae and cleans up the place ? Looking for something very small that's not going to bother little fish or corals .

Ones I've been looking at .
Strawberry
Emerald

Also like the porcelain crab

And there's an acro crab as well that lives in the coral ? New one for me .

I like dwarf hermits and emerald crabs. Both can be docile perfect crabs and sometimes they are little a**holes. I had two emeralds in my biocube that would move smaller rock and frags no stop. I have 4 in my 90gal tank and they are little angels

I'm a fan of Emerald crabs and try to keep one in each tank that I have. This along with blue legged hermits are in every tank I've ever set up. The blue leg's help a lot with algae and when you add something new that has algae on it, they'll swarm and knock it out.

I have about 80+ Hermits in both my 80 & 60 with 2 or 3 female emeralds in each tank too.

I have hermits blue ,red,scarlet ,orange . Looking for something with a little crabbier style . Emeralds are cool and I did see some small ones the other day .

All the ones listed are safe for coral and fish. Porcelain are really cool and are the only ones I've seen in the hobby that won't bother anything. They are filter feeders so don't get them thinking they help clean rocks. Really cool to watch though. All the rest won't just eat algae they are omnivores. The most common victims are snails.
The problem with Emeralds is there is another type of crab that looks just like them as juveniles but grow to twice the size. I can't remember the name ATM but this other one will do damage to zoa's and smaller crabs.

All the ones listed are safe for coral and fish. Porcelain are really cool and are the only ones I've seen in the hobby that won't bother anything. They are filter feeders so don't get them thinking they help clean rocks. Really cool to watch though. All the rest won't just eat algae they are omnivores. The most common victims are snails.
The problem with Emeralds is there is another type of crab that looks just like them as juveniles but grow to twice the size. I can't remember the name ATM but this other one will do damage to zoa's and smaller crabs.

That might explain why every emerald crab I ever had ended up tearing up corals eventually! I avoid them and pepermint shrimp for that reason.

I love hermits but they do occationaliy kill a snail if they dont have a shell the right fit to move up into. I also do like porcelain and pom pom crabs. Hardy and fun to watch..a bit shy at times though.

Back