Iwasaki 65K bulbs

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
Anyone ever use the Iwasaki 65K bulbs? I understand you have to run a special e-ballast like the PFO EYE or an IceCap e-ballast. I hear they are the best for coral growth...

I was also wondering... if you bought the PFO EYE ballast, would it fire other bulbs as well?

H37 ballast. i ran these on my tank. H37 is a mercury vapor ballast.

also, when you purchase the bulb, make sure you get the one designated 41-R. it's their "reef" bulb and burns a bit whiter to the naked eye.

yes, it'll run on an electronic ballast but much like how M80 ballasts overdrive SE MH bulbs, the H37 ballast will do the same for the eye bulb.

it's not a pretty color, even with actinic supplementation. if there's any yellowing in the water, the bulb highlights it a lot.

as far as growth is concerned, granted i kept the lights with shrooms during cycling and have since changed bulbs, but these shroom grew to enormous sizes. i had 1 hairy mushroom on a piece of rock that was no bigger than 1/2" in diameter and it blew up into a colony of 6 now (after 4-5 months) with the largest mushroom being 2 1/2" in diameter.

i don't know about SPS but if PAR is really that important to growth rates, i'd expect this bulb to surpass every bulb because it does have the highest PAR rating of all the SE 250W (except for XM 10ks w/ M80 ballast vs iwasakis w/M80).

IMO, you want a balance of color and growth. i believe 14k bulbs (or 15k bulbs) achieve this the best.

Thanks, I guess I should have clarified I'm looking at 400W bulbs...

Is the H37 the PFO EYE Ballast?

Harleyguy;151025 wrote: Thanks, I guess I should have clarified I'm looking at 400W bulbs...

Is the H37 the PFO EYE Ballast?

it's the 250W mercury vapor ballast. i don't know if its PFO branded.

http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/articles/DIY_MH.html">http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/articles/DIY_MH.html</a>

i have 1 250W H37 ballast sitting at my house collecting dust. i just got an icecap e-ballast so if you're interested, let me know...

I'm not familiar with the 400 watt 6500 k but the 175 are great for growth. down side i don't like the color. corals don't color up very well ether.

I plain on looking into the new 15,000 K Iwaski lamps. suppose to be best of both worlds.

Roland Jacques;151052 wrote: I plain on looking into the new 15,000 K Iwaski lamps. suppose to be best of both worlds.

the ARO electronic ballast is supposed to give you the best PAR rating with the 15k Iwasakis. They're also rated up to 2 years of bulb life and the PAR from the bulb is almost equal to that of all SE 250k bulbs?

yeah, it's a big winner. the problem is trying to locate one NIB for sale. :doh:

The iwasaki's are great for growth, terrible for colouration.

2 years WOW!!!!! Geart PAR and color. i Know what im getting.

Ill let you know if/where I find them.

Roland Jacques;151060 wrote: 2 years WOW!!!!! Geart PAR and color. i Know what im getting.

Ill let you know if/where I find them.

please do. i will sell my 250W set up and "downgrade" to 175W if i could ever find an NIB bulb...

here's a comparison between the 175W bulb vs 6 54W T5s:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=925100&perpage=25&highlight=Iwasaki%20and%20T5&pagenumber=1">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=925100&perpage=25&highlight=Iwasaki%20and%20T5&pagenumber=1</a>

i can't remember where i read that piece about the lamp life but somehow, the 175W has ridiculous longevity.

Roland Jacques;151069 wrote: So the 15000 k have been out for a long time. I wonder why you dont here much info on them?

people just assume that 175W isn't enough for SPS. you know, that whole more light the better craze... :yawn:

everything i read on RC about their 175W iwasaki set ups have been nothing short of spectacular. i believe haninja on this board has them set up on his tank and he absolutely loves them.

can't wait until i'm not so broke! ;)

Back