Japanese Zoas ?

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
I bought some so called Japanese Zoas from marine fish and they have been popping up all over online called the same thing. They were actually a real good price with the discount. No more then any other colony of zoa's I have purchased.

My question is I thought we were not allowed to import corals from Japanese waters so how can these really be from Japan. Was I misinformed and now we can import corals from Japan?

This is not a thread to discuss Marine fish selling them as such as many online sellers are calling them the same thing. I am happy with them no matter were they are from but just wanted to discuss this. I am sure that the the importer who is selling them to retailers is calling them Japanese but is this really possible?

I tried to have this discussion on another board but to many retailers jumping in and trying to cover their _ ss worried I am calling them out.

IF anyone else has bought them how are they doing for you? So far so good for me. I have them in a lower light section of my tank but they still get more then they need. The skirts are florescent but the centers are not very bright.

Japzoa.jpg
alt="" />

Joe

Barbara;316511 wrote: Beautiful! They look like those purple hornets, but with a different color skirt!

I agree with you.....who cares where they are from originally? I hadn't heard one way or another about importing corals from Japan, but I am not well read on the subject. Hopefully some of our members who like that type of research will chime in!
That was exactly what I though when I saw them!

Thanks everyone I like them as well. Now if they will make it past a month I suck at zoa's.lol

I have not seen purple hornets in person so I am not sure. Purple hornets look to have brighter centers but can't tell by pictures alone.

I am happy to have them no matter were there from but still curious if the "coral marketers" are flat out lying to everyone once again.

Joe

Well, if you start to have problems I will be glad to house them till you can figure out what is wrong before they die or whatever.

I hated having Zoas, never could keep the color but now my Armor of Gods are doing great and my Eagle eye zoas' color are coming back, so I'm happy now. Good luck! I would like a frag when you are ready to frag them out.

I made it clear this was not about marine fish specifically as there are 6 different well know websites selling the same zoa's and calling them Japanese.

I am not bashing Maine fish there are some sites selling 5 polyps for around what I paid for the whole thing.

I was on another discuss board and the wholesaler or importer sold them to retailers as Japanese zoa's. They intern sell them as Japanese which is just passing along the marketing created by the original importer.

Joe

Thanks for the clarification, but the center of the jap zoas look exactly like purple hornets. Not the skirt (anyone that knows PH know they alterate), but the centers. Neither Barb or I said they were PH, merely that the CENTERS looked like PH.
On a side note,
Joe,
let me know when you and the ridgeback are out of town, I'd like to stop by!!!!!

ares;316617 wrote: there are 4 zoas in the pic... which are we talking about?

true japanese zoas are definitely illegal. though of course there are those that got around it, aquacultured and fragged, and probably for every 1 of those, there are 9 that will be lied about. end of the day, does it really matter anyway? long as they look good for the price you pay I think anyway.

as for purple hornets, I dont see any there, I presume we are talking about the top left ones, but hornets are just a green ring, the mouth is still purple. and the trademark of them is the double skirt, bottom being purple, top skirt being green. its very specific because outside of that, the purple with green oral ring is not that rare. such little distinctions that we knock ourselves out over...

but yeah, which of the 4 were your originally referring to as japanese? or is it all 4? bottom left look like eagle eyes, top right look like armor of god or armageddon.

As far as I know from talking to people who buy wholesale from suppliers and whatnot..
Japanese Zoa's are a myth..Nothing more than a marketing ploy to charge insane amounts for simple morphs..

Maybe that is just the name? Japanese Zoa? I mean, obviously if they meant 'zoa from japan' it would vary a lot since there surely is more than one zoa from Japan, so they could not all look the same.

I have some I just named American Zoa. They are orange, but since the names are relatively arbitrary, I just named it something cool.

Back