Jawfish

yep, LOVE them. we had a pearly jawfish for almost two years.. so much fun! very full of personality. he didnt survive the move to colorado, though. we have two now in our 90. one of my favs for sure!!

How deep a sand bed do you keep them in? And what size are they?

I have mine in about 3 inches of sand. I've found that if you put small pieces of rubble and small shell near the hole, they will use it to build their entrance up higher. I have a pearly headed and he's quite fun to watch. Best of luck. And just so you know, the corals I got from you are kicking butt! Hope this means you're getting back in the hobby. Take care.

Chris at Eintstein has one in a display in 1 inch of sand or so. It made its cave under a rock and seems to be fine with it.

dawgdude;160143 wrote: If you are looking for one I suggest the bluespotted jawfish. They are incredible.

$$$$$$$

:eek:

We saw one @ Marine Fish once... and 3 people were fighting over it.

the pearly is only about 25 bucks.. i had two wait forever to get my new ones. but they are worth it. ours is in about 4 inches of sand. our first pj was in 4 in of crushed coral, though and did fine.

If you are looking for one I suggest the bluespotted jawfish. They are incredible.

THe last I checked the captive survival rates of the blue spot was poor at best.

Not sure if I'll do this, but I have 2 25g tanks (which are 1'x2' footprints, but 20" high) one of which would be a good DSB tank dedicated to a small breed jawfish and a couple other things that don't require a ton of lighting. It would be part of my overall system for circulation, but a nice focus tank where the jawfish could re-decorate at his/her leisure without disturbing anything else.

From what I have read, a good deal of successful jawfish acclimation is getting it first so it can peacefully make its burrow and settle in before anything else arrives.

dawgdude;160181 wrote: Weird....all three people I know that got some are all fine. I guess they got pretty lucky and they were all from the same order....

Here's a thread on RC about their issues.

showthread.php

I doubt VERY seriously that the ones your friends bought are still alive. If they are, have them contact all of the aquariums in the country that have been unsuccessful keeping them LONG TERM. I have tried 4, the longest one lasted about 4 months. They need cooler water and few tankmates. Even then the likelyhood of survival is slim. There's a reason why it's called blue spotted jawfish disease. I wish this weren't true, as they are one of my favorite fish.
Now, to get back on track. The other jawfish, pearly, dusky, bali, tiger, all are very hearty fish, given the proper conditions. If I didn't have a BB I'd have one. They duskys do get big, though. I think behind the blue spot, the pearlies are my favorite

dawgdude;160201 wrote: I trust books more than RC usually.....

From Reef Aquarium Fishes By Scott W. Michael

These species are generally durable and hardy, with most individuals acclimating to the home aquarium. Its husbandry is similar to that of other small members of the family. It is rarely aggressive toward unrelated species unless they try to enter its burrow.

In my experience with the ones I have seen come in at stores they have all done as well as other Opistognathidae Family so I can only really speak on what I have read and experienced.

dawgdude;160197 wrote: If you want something else that is good for DSB look at Garden Eels.
I saw those, but I don't think they'd do too well in a 25g tank. A smaller jawfish is probably my best bet if I don't turn it into a mangrove tank.

Back