JBJ chiller

joseayes

Market
Reaction score
I’ll try my luck again.
So this chiller served me very well last season and almost at the end of it suddenly decided to stop working, I’ve replaced the fuse and nothing, I’ve tried a brand new display that I got when purchased and did nothing, I’ve replaced the relay and tested the motor protector and, well, still not working. The only part I’ve never test it’s the motor itself, because I have no means to do it nor the knowledge.
In my first attempt I tried and call JBJ, being them located in California... well, I can’t image how much it would be to ship it and then pay for service plus shipping back.
I’d like to meet someone who has the experience working on them and put this chiller back to chill water for the coming season.
Please help!!!

Attachments

• 15250F48-048E-4C38-8789-95494BE7C38C.jpeg
    15250F48-048E-4C38-8789-95494BE7C38C.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 14
Does it have a starter capacitor ? Cylinder shaped electrical part with 2 connector's on one end . If so I'd swap it . Do you have a multimeter ?
That's what I was thinking too. Need to run a multimeter through it and verify that and the rest of the connections.

Adam, I’d love you could take a look at it and if it’s within your possibilities to repair it I’d paid a reasonable amount for your time and labor, I’d like to talk about it first, and first hand I really appreciate your help.
Eric, I don’t have a pro multimeter, I do have a cheap one and it should read the same but it’s not comparable to something more accurate.
I’ll post some pics I’ve taken previously.

If your meter does ohms and voltage your good . Set meter to ohms and touch cap terminal . Should climb slowly . If not it's trash . You can also check voltage at the motor lead coming from the capacitor. If you have voltage before but not after it's trash.

I just so happen to have my JBJ 1/3hp unit apart cleaning it and I don't see a cap on it. Would it be behind the relay inside the compressor bell housing?

Well crap, I thought mine just had a blown fuse. Turns out it's something more of a bigger problem. Tested with a new fuse and it popped as soon as it kicked on.
Sure glad I bought the 1/2hp Tradewind unit that was for sale! Looks like it's now plan A. lol

I'll start digging into the JBJ when I have time. pretty corroded inside so it might not be worth it. The previous owner looks like they had a pretty big spill at some point. Sucks for me but just glad it got me through last season.

The component in the middle picture looks like a fusible link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These units don't have a cap. Just a starter relay with OLP. If you've put a new relay on and got no love then the compressor is toast.

The compressors aren't crazy expensive compared to a whole new chiller. It's finding someone that can re-solder the system and recharge it with R-134.
I've found a replacement 1/3hp unit for $150.

Back