Jebao RW-20 Review

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I put a pair of RW-20's in my 180 DT this morning, replacing 2 WP-40's that I previously had in operation. The WP-40's were set to Wave 2, middle range pulse and did a fine job but I wanted some of the benefits that the RW's offered.

The RW-20 is about the same size as the WP-40 but is noticeably different in that it has a more open face allowing for less pinpoint flow....in other words, it's flow broadcast is much wider than before. The cons that I have are the mounting and magnet. The magnet seems weak on my 1/2" glass. The mounting is not as adjustable as what the WP-40 was.

The controller is distinctly different and I like it! The night sensor is much better than the old version. In my opinion, you get better control with the settings available on the new controller. I'm currently playing with the Master/Slave option but from what I've read, this could be a huge advantage if it words as described. You get fewer wave settings but the one they have added is the ability to alternate the pulse between heads. As for speed.....well I'm rocking my 180 at half speed. Understand that the RW-20 is rated for 5250 gph at full speed while the WP-40 is only rated at 3500 gph at full speed.

Personally, so far, I give these new units :up::up:

Please post any comments or reviews of other Jebao products. We need to hear the good and the bad.

Great review Jeff! I hooked up two of the RW8 to replace two WP25. I hooked them up to master/slave and on C mode its pretty amazing and the pattern is adjustable. I totally agree that the flow pattern is much wider than the WP models and as you stated the adjustment is very limited to the direction of the powerhead. All in all I love the look and design. On Performance time will tell. Im going to put the two new RWs on the APEX and see the difference between the 2 WP25s I still have installed and the new ones. Im sure theres a huge difference, Ill report back!

I have the 40 at the shop and I love it. Digs sand up on the opposite end of a 5'x2' tank. Basically an mp40 on steroids. Took only a few minutes to figure the controller out.

Bgcoop8784;978848 wrote: I'm glad y'all are playing with them, this way maybe I can get some advice on how to set up the two rw-15s in my tank when I get them.

I feel your pain. Not only do I not have them to play with......I don't have any water to use them on. LOL

Bgcoop8784;978861 wrote: I would almost rather be in your boat right now... I'm actually thinking of starting another tank just so I have something to add stuff to, lol.

Hi my name is Coop and I am......

Just a caution on the RW-20's in night mode. The sensor works much much better than the WP's however, I believe that night mode only kicks it to the lowest constant speed available on whichever pump you're running....in my case 520 gph.....doesn't seem like a lot but even at that speed, it will blow sand if you have the heads on opposing sides and flow colliding in the center of your tank. I would recommend altering positions of the heads to avoid this issue.

Thanks to Jeff, I been running new RW-15's on my 120 gallon reef since last Friday? was it? I forgot.

RW-15 pump is "BY FAR" much stronger than wp-40's I had in the tank. No matter how low the flow is set (lowest @1 bar to highest @8 bar), it blows and creats sand deeps. it's curently set on else mode at 7 bar.
I also had to move the pump up to very top of the glass to help with this. Here are some picture for reference.

Placement of the pumps: I use to have wp-40's right at middle point of the glasses.
fo17v4.jpg
alt="" />

Front middle: Its like this even at 2 bar. currently at 7 bar out of 8.
ny5x6e.jpg
alt="" />

Back middle with dual overflow: it's hard to see but you can see the bare bottomed.
2dihzcx.jpg
alt="" />
24dhd21.jpg
alt="" />

Front Corner: you can see the sand deep
inwles.jpg
alt="" />

I am keeping the wp-40's for spare, but I defenetely will recommand the new RW's.

Thank Barry. I did try the wave mode #1. With one set as master and one as slave @4 out of 8 bars and it created bare bottomes in five different spots including front corners. At this moment I am still figuring out what will be the best option. I just might do as Jeff mentioned and off aet the powerheads.

Very nice tank! Makes me wish I had gone with Black sand!

project1004;979132 wrote: Thanks to Jeff, I been running new RW-15's on my 120 gallon reef since last Friday? was it? I forgot.

RW-15 pump is "BY FAR" much stronger than wp-40's I had in the tank. No matter how low the flow is set (lowest @1 bar to highest @8 bar), it blows and creats sand deeps. it's curently set on else mode at 7 bar.
I also had to move the pump up to very top of the glass to help with this. Here are some picture for reference.

Placement of the pumps: I use to have wp-40's right at middle point of the glasses.
fo17v4.jpg
alt="" />

Front middle: Its like this even at 2 bar. currently at 7 bar out of 8.
ny5x6e.jpg
alt="" />

Back middle with dual overflow: it's hard to see but you can see the bare bottomed.
2dihzcx.jpg
alt="" />
24dhd21.jpg
alt="" />

Front Corner: you can see the sand deep
inwles.jpg
alt="" />

I am keeping the wp-40's for spare, but I defenetely will recommand the new RW's.

As a test....I've put a RW-20 on one end of my 180 (6 ft x 2 ft) tank and a RW-15 on the opposing end. I can say this......the RW-20 on the lowest setting will over run the RW-15 at it's highest setting. I do think that this makes a great combination in a 6 ft tank though. In doing so, I've almost completely eliminated blowing sand. I have both pumps running on W1 with about a 1 second pulse interval.

I picked up the RW-20 from Jeff this past weekend and it is awesome in my 150 (6ft long). I put it on it's lowest setting on 1 end and an MP40 (70%) on the other end and got great waves (wave crest around 1") that oscillate back and forth. Love this guy. Wish it can be smaller like the MP40 and it will be perfect.

Hey Jeff,
I took a look at the new RW's the other day. Trying to decide if 2 RW 15's will be good for my 6 ft, 150gal mixed reef or should I go with the RW 8's? Whatcha think?
Jeff

porpoiseaquatics;998033 wrote: I would go with the RW 15's. That's what I have in my 6ft 180.

Can't speak for a 6' tank but they are excellent in my 4' 120. Love these pumps. How well they stand up is yet to be seen but based on the price I say they are a home run for anyone who wants good performance on a budget.

Back