Jebao RW series powerheads

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
I bought a pair of these in the original group buy a while back, so I've had plenty of time to use them. One was a RW8 and the other a RW15.

First, these pumps are WAY underrated. The RW15 blew sand all over my 120 gallon tank, even on the lowest power setting. I ended up exchanging it for a second RW8, both of which are at about 60% for power and I get great flow and movement. The powerhead also provides adjustable power options to increase/reduce flow.

The different modes provide plenty of great options for movement. Whether you like on/off, a gradual ramp up/down, or a random flow pattern, there's something for everyone. The speed at which it turns/ramps is adjustable with a knob on the controller.

It provides a night mode to reduce the flow during low photoperiods. This is accomplished with a photometer that's built in to the controller. Neat idea, but in my experience it turns itself off randomly.

There's a feed/pause mode that stops the flow for 10 minutes before self starting - great for being able to target feed.

The controllers are able to paired in slave/master mode, which only works for the flow type, night mode, and feed mode. Power modes remain independent for each powerhead, as does the speed from the control knob.

The price isn't much more than one would pay for a Koralia powerhead, making it a great budget powerhead.

I've got 2 wp40's on my 140 and they are more then enough flow. When they take a crap one day I plan on upgrading to the rw's. 8's or 15's in your opinion, I have a mixed reef that is 72Lx24Hx16W?

I'd think a pair of 8's should do you just fine. I have a 4'x2'x2' 120g and I mine are a little more than half power.

jbadd99;1062679 wrote: I'd think a pair of 8's should do you just fine. I have a 4'x2'x2' 120g and I mine are a little more than half power.

Agree, I have 2 in my 75g and they make a ton of current.

I have two RW15's in my 6-ft 180 along with two Tunze 6200's. While the RW15's don't have the output that the Tunze's do, they do a fine job of keeping up.

Unlike the OP....I've never had any issue with the night mode on my RW15's. I do find that they are a little sensitive with what direction the light hits the controller from but other than that, no issues here and they are now around 18 months old.

porpoiseaquatics;1062687 wrote: I have two RW15's in my 6-ft 180

Are you running BB? I can't imagine having RW15's in a tank running sand unless you were in the 250+ category

Crew;1062692 wrote: Are you running BB? I can't imagine having RW15's in a tank running sand unless you were in the 250+ category

No. I have a sand bottom...fiji pink mixed with black. I do get a little blowing but it's about position and cycle.

I loved my RWs 8s. I ran 4 in my 120 and wired them up to the Apex to run in the Vortch modes.

Back