Jellyfish Tank

giulianom

Market
Reaction score
I saw in this month's Make magazine an article on making a tank designed for Jellyfish.

I thought it was rather cool:

http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol27/?pg=84&pm=2&u1=friend">http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol27/?pg=84&pm=2&u1=friend</a>

Not that I plan to have jellyfish... :)

The wife likes but could someone try and help with explaining to her why theres nothing else in the tank. She would like gravel and rocks and such. She insists that there is other stuff in the ocean why couldnt there be other stuff in the tank.

The ocean is much, much larger than a small tank. :)

Jellyfish swim in open water.

Thats what i told her shes just being hard headed this morning and didnt want to accept that answer.

My wife wants jelly fish in our tank also. I keep telling her that I am no way even close to being that advanced in Marine livestock yet.

I grew up in Destin, these things were a nightmare, maybe owning some would change my opinion.

I have helped raise and care for many different jellyfish including Cassiopeia</em>, Mastigias</em>, Chrysaora(atlantic and pacific)</em>, Aurelia</em>, and Catostylus</em>. I have found that the Cassiopeia</em> are the easiest(very hardy), as they do not have the flow and temperature requirements that many others do. Yes they are cool and yes they are a total pain! Many species like cooler waters, therefor you need a chiller. They get caught and tangled on all sorts of stuff including each other. Food is also an issue, when I helped care for these we had to have live enriched 24hr and 48hr brine shrimp naupulii available every day for feeding, which is another chore. You must also be cautious of creating air bubbles inside of the tank, as jellies have no way of expelling gasses that get caught under there bells. And one of the biggest issues was the flow of the tank, for most species you must keep them in a constant circular flow so they can gather food and not bunch up on each other in a corner, which requires special tanks and modifications. These are just some of the issues you must be concerned with when caring for jellies. For such simple animals, you would think that caring for them would be easy, but other than the Cassiopeia</em>, this was not my experience.

Back