Jumpers?!?!

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I cam home after running a few errands and my starry blenny was on the ground. I got him back in the tank and I think it's going to be alright. Initially it was on it's side, panting, but now it's righted itself and swam over to a more protected corner. Fingers crossed. Whenever you have a tank that's not covered adequately, there's always the risk of any fish jumping out but we know there are some fish that just can't seem to stay in the tank. What are the most "jumpy" in your opinion? I'm just looking to see what y'all experiences look like. I'll start off...

Wrasses - Out of all the fish I've kept, wrasses (any species) seem to really, really like to jump and do some carpet surfing. Even though it's probably more of a fright response and not something that they 'like' these really are fish that regularly catch air. I've never lost one to jumping because I keep a good and complete cover over any tank with a wrasse it BUT I have had to snatch them out of overflows quite a few times.

Our pintail fairy wrasse is like a dang torpedo at feeding time! He’s hit the back wall 4-5 times when we took the lid off to feed. Needless to say the lid now just gets tilted to feed instead of fully off.

Some or yall may have heard my comments on this before. Rule of thumb: If the fish is shaped like a torpedo (long and slender) it has higher chances of being a jumper.

Torpedo/jumpers:
Reef wrasses
Gobies
Blennies
Dartfish
Tilefish
Dottybacks

Non jumpers:
Clownfish
Damsels
Tangs
Groupers
Batfish
Non reef-safe wrasses
Puffers

Of course, any fish has the potential to jump. But this is a good rule of thumb that generally works well.

Some or yall may have heard my comments on this before. Rule of thumb: If the fish is shaped like a torpedo (long and slender) it has higher chances of being a jumper.

Torpedo/jumpers:
Reef wrasses
Gobies
Blennies
Dartfish
Tilefish
Dottybacks

Non jumpers:
Clownfish
Damsels
Tangs
Groupers
Batfish
Non reef-safe wrasses
Puffers

Of course, any fish has the potential to jump. But this is a good rule of thumb that generally works well.
Love the list!! I’ll probably always have a lid on regardless of the fish just for my sanity.

There is no "List"! Yes, torpedo shaped fish are more likely. BUT THEY ALL CAN AND WILL JUMP!

I think a Powder Blue got stuck by a FoxFace and I was nursing it back, not very well but trying. I went out and mowed the lawn last weekend and came back in to find it dead on the floor. I've had triggers gump. My wife saved a clown that jumped, cat almost got that one. Hell I've even had an engineer goby jump. Lids on everything from now on. <-- PERIOD

I completely agree @Adam . For everyone reading, its why i put 2 disclaimers on my original post. Just to beat a dead (sea)horse; These are NOT "always jumpers" vs "never jumpers".

Its my rule of thumb that Torpedos have a higher* probability of jumping, due to their evolved fight/flight responses. But (to make up numbers), this could be a 40% chance of jumping vs a 70% chance (made up numbers). Even if your fish is in the lower risk group, doesnt mean that it is low risk. I recommend some protection measures on all tanks... my advice is to put on a lid or canopy on your tank and reduce it to <1%.

My example is that we had a clownfish in a rimless tank that loved jumping. He probably jumped about once every day or so, and kept getting lucky as crap when i walked by 5 minutes later... or when he literally jumped into another rimless tank less than a foot away. Seriously, it was like he was trying to find his missing son... except in chicago. He found a good home though, with a canopy.

Ive seen a few dozen clownfish jump, and many other random species. Probably the only fish that i personally havent seen jump are things like seahorses and puffers... although i bet puffers could if they wanted to.

I completely agree @Adam . For everyone reading, its why i put 2 disclaimers on my original post. Just to beat a dead (sea)horse; These are NOT "always jumpers" vs "never jumpers".

Its my rule of thumb that Torpedos have a higher* probability of jumping, due to their evolved fight/flight responses. But (to make up numbers), this could be a 40% chance of jumping vs a 70% chance (made up numbers). Even if your fish is in the lower risk group, doesnt mean that it is low risk. I recommend some protection measures on all tanks... my advice is to put on a lid or canopy on your tank and reduce it to <1%.

My example is that we had a clownfish in a rimless tank that loved jumping. He probably jumped about once every day or so, and kept getting lucky as crap when i walked by 5 minutes later... or when he literally jumped into another rimless tank less than a foot away. Seriously, it was like he was trying to find his missing son... except in chicago. He found a good home though, with a canopy.

Ive seen a few dozen clownfish jump, and mamy others. Probably the only fish that personally havent seen jump and things like seahorses and puffers... although i bet puffers could if they wanted to.
At my last house I had a melanurus jump from the frag tank to the sump, twice. Also had a orange back fairy jump through a tiny gap in the cover I had on it. The thing must have bounced off the return pipe, off the light and landed on the screen top. Had to suck dying while looking at the water it jumped from.

I personally prefer canopies. And even with a canopy, i always put a screen on the very top. This allows increased airflow, and prevents any dartfish from shooting up 24+" over the water.

At my last house I had a melanurus jump from the frag tank to the sump, twice. Also had a orange back fairy jump through a tiny gap in the cover I had on it. The thing must have bounced off the return pipe, off the light and landed on the screen top. Had to suck dying while looking at the water it jumped from.
Ive similarly seen some "magic" jumps that had to have ricochet off other surfaces.

Yeah, it must suck.

Tile fish, hands down. I’ve seen them sail ~8 feet with no problem.
Im not surprised. Those guys are built for streamlined speed. I love them though... some of my favorite underrated fish.

Last edited:
Well the Starry Blenny seems to have recovered. I just fed and it didn't come out but I did see it perched towards it's regular hiding place. Typically it hangs out towards the front but when it's scared it has a standard go-to spot to chill. We'll see if it makes it through the rest of today and tonight.

My filefish jumps out when he is scared. Luckily he only does it if he is scared of something I'm doing in the tank. I've had to pick him up off the floor on 3 different occasions and actually used it to my advantage on my last tank move. Scare him and BOOM - out he comes. Best fish trap on the planet.

I've learned the lesson about tops and have them on our tanks now. I've lost wrasse, diamond goby, firefish. I've actually lost a blenny through a lid - if there is a hole even slightly smaller than their body - they'll find a way out.

Back