just a x-mas thought

jaydm93teg

Market
Reaction score
ok guys for those of you that have never met me im 24 years old college student and work full time as a rest. manager. My mother worked for DFACS for 38 years and retired with the state. Every year for as long as i can remember we would go up to her office the night of x-mas and days before handing out toys, gift cards, canned food for needy children and family. Well since she is retired and living on st. simons obviously i cant do that anymore but she did come in town and tell me she went to the local elementary school on st. simons and "adopted" a kids x-mas list for christmas. On this 5 year olds x-mas list he asked for flash cards, a book bag, and a softball as a toy!!!!! It is crazy the things kids dont have and the things that kids ask for and think is the greatest thing like this kid has asked for a softball for x-mas......I was thinking that we could get a bunch of people together on the site maybe some how adopt a few children or adopt a whole family and feed them and give them gifts for x-mas......Maybe we could donate money to a pot and buy gifts or some of you guys that have great tanks set up some time of silent coral auction and use all the proceeds to go towards helping to feed a family. Its just crazy seeing grown men break down crying on x-mas eve when they realize they are going to be able to give there little kids a new bike for x-mas or have food to put on the table and i have seen it so many times over the years helping my mom and would like to try and put something together through the club.

ok so if anyone has any ideas of how to make this work lets hear em....i know we can all spare a little bit over the holidays even if its coral frags or just 10 bucsk with how many people we have in the club we should be able to do something nice for a needy family this year!!!!

I like this idea. The Airsoft team that I play on every year does a charity game. The fee for the game is a toy of 25.00 or more and goes to Toys for Tots. It was always a huge turnout and everyone had a great time. Not saying this is what we should do, but some kind event or fund raiser would be awesome. I will chip-in any way that I can. Donate money, time, etc.

Great Idea!!

I try to do things like that every year. I once was a recipient of a christmas like that. It's hard for a single mother to raise two children by herself. Please keep me posted on what happens Tyler.

I can give 4 vouchers good for 4 tickets to any Thrashers game. Good little gift for the whole fam. Let me know what the plan is.

Very nice thought...

Would it be improper to suggest we choose my family for the donations? J/k... kinda...

I'm up for making a few x-mas donations. Lead the way!

Maybe a mod or someone with more ARC club experience can head this up I would just like to maybe to get the wheel rolling on the ideas that people had

I did this last year and had a few members step up with donations.

The best thing to do is to go to a red cross or boys and girls club and get info on "sponsor kids". They will give you a list and data on the kids.

I would like to participate in some way as well. I remember when I was young my dad (fire chief in my hometown in east tennessee) always threw a Christmas party for the firefighters and their families and a number of underprivileged families in the area. All the kids got presents from Santa. For some of those kids it was all they got for Christmas... It was nice to be a part of something like that.

I think we (I know I do) sometimes forget with all our complaining about the economy, etc. that there are MANY more unfortunate than us.

Back