Just got a 365 acrylic. Now i gotta plan on what to do with it

joshainga

Market
Reaction score
Well i was very fortunate this past week. I got my job back and ran across a steal on a 365 acrylic tank combo. Tank measures 84 x28 1/4 x 36. Tank set up is complete tank, stand, canopy, diy basic light fixture, sump, pump, and skimmer. Now this will be a build that i won't start until next year after i buy my house but i'm kinda stuck about what route to go on set up. I mean i'd love to go reef, but with the size of the tank it would take years to fill not to mention being 3ft tall i wouldn't be sure on what type of lighting to use. With a tank this size an ato is a must as a reefkeeper system i think would be too. Wouldn't mind a shark/ray tank but most species i've been looking at will require a larger tank. I guess the only reasonable route would be fowlr. What would be the best powerhead combo for flow? I mean if this was your tank how would you set it up if you were on a budget?

I would be curious to know what kind of skimmer, also oz's setup would be a good
Model. 1000w metal halides, and mp60 powerheads, definitly a reeflo or sro xp5000 or similar skimmer

If it were me, I would sell it and get a tank that is not A. Acrylic, and B. 3 feet tall.

Nightmare!

EnderG60;712348 wrote: If it were me, I would sell it and get a tank that is not A. Acrylic, and B. 3 feet tall.

Nightmare!

Agreed. My 210 is 30" tall and that thing is a SOB to work on.

andregarcia_73;712358 wrote: Whats wrong with acrylic? I love acrylic tanks. And if you really wanted there are some shark spwcies you coukd keep there. Though they would be costly.

Andre, it's mainly just personal preference for me. I like being able to use my mag float w/ the razor attachment. It would shred an acrylic aquarium.

I like acrylic in some scenarios(small tanks, sumps, etc) just not on huge tank.

Purely preference.

There are certainly benefits to using acrylic over glass based on ease of transport and durability.

Scratches really bother me, and working hard to buff them out bothers me too.

I like the fact that you can drill an acrylic aquarium with a regular hole-saw from home depot.

I don't like the fact that most acrylic will bow, and low quality acrylic will turn yellow as it is exposed to UV for long periods of time.

If acrylic cracks, it's pretty much done for, same with glass. But with glass, you can replace a panel, with acrylic, the structure is compromised.

So you lost your job with your aunts pet store and then got re hired? After selling all your reef stuff then bought another huge tank? Man I wish I could do that!

I'd go sharks all the way

Back