Just got my Osmolator

frewl

Market
Reaction score
After weeks of being back ordered I finally have my Tunze Osmolator. I have the calcium dispenser to hook up too. Now I just have to hook everything up. I must say that I love the customer service at Marine Depot. Mounting it in my sump is going to be fun. The first complaint I have about it is the mounting. It doesn't seem to be very tank friendly. If you have an acrylic sump it seems like it would be an easier install.

Post some pics when you get it hooked up.Ive been thinking about buying one of those for my 500.

I just got everything hooked up. I'm very impressed with it except for one thing. The connection from the control box to the dosing pump is unusual. I myself would have wanted to have a water tight connection but this is more like a small wiring block. it has screws on the top and you put the wired in the sides. I'll post pics once I find the camera.

Okay here are some pics of the Osmolator in my sump. I decided against siliconing baffles in my sump because I didn't know exactly what I was going to put in there. So I had these acrylic stands that are usually used in display cases to elevate products of interest. I figure they are three sided so I can use them as make shift baffles. So far they are keeping down on the micro bubbles. I glued two of them together to hold the water sensors from the Osmolator. This actually work out well because it also shields the sensors from a lot of the turbulence from the sump.

In the first picture you can see what I was talking about the connector from the pump and control box. I have it on the hook to keep ir from falling down into the water and if there are any mishaps while working on or under the tank which seems to happen every now and then.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I guess the wiring block is there to allow for easy rewiring of a replacement pump. I just bought a used one and the metal screws in the block have a bit of corrosion on them. Might be a good idea to keep it as far away from any salt spray as possible also.

Did you velcro the control unit to the side of your stand? The back of mine is covered with a "fuzzy" velcro pad.

I have no idea how I'm going to mount mine to the tank - no sump. They didn't include the mounts, just the rails. I'm going to try to hook up the calcium dispenser as well. Please send some good vibes my way. Good thing my sister reads German. LOL Well, it would probably help even more if they sent the instructions.

I like the way you set it up. Heard nothing but good things about them.
Can't for the life of me figure out how that cutoff float switch actually works.

BTW- It will backsiphon. Looks like you have the output hose above the water line, so you should be okay. There should be a small white clamp that screws to one of the mounting brackets to hold the waterline.

I got the calcium dispenser also. it has a check valve on it. I was actually watching it pump and you can watch the check valve open a close. I haven't put kalk in it yet, since I only have live rock and sand in the tank right now.

Its extremely accurate but then I would love to have even more. What you could do is make an overflow box and media chamber. Some acrylic, Weld-On 16, and a small pump and you could have a small in tank sump. And to hide it just put on a couple coats of krylon fusion and bam its ready. More or less a Osmomat.

Back