Just had my first Fraggng accident....

saltyvixen

Market
Reaction score
I was trying to remove some acans from a frag plug, knife slipped and went stright into my finger... and it was rusty.... sooo i had a panic attack and now im waiting for my husband to take me to the hospital... gonna need a tetnus for this one...:shout:

Saltwater might, but rusty tools + the bacterial film on our live rocks + coral tissue is not a great combo. Get the tetanus shot and clean the wound out as best you can w/ antibiotic.

I've had a couple of live rock sculpting cuts that took forever to heal - I use exam gloves nowadays like they're going out of style.

BulkRate;975618 wrote: Saltwater might, but rusty tools + the bacterial film on our live rocks + coral tissue is not a great combo. Get the tetanus shot and clean the wound out as best you can w/ antibiotic.

I've had a couple of live rock sculpting cuts that took forever to heal - I use exam gloves nowadays like they're going out of style.

The SW being good for wounds was sort of a joke, while it is true yes there are many dangers that you could encounter in the water column. For instance if you disturbed/freshly fragged some zoas in the tank and then got it in your wounds - big problems.

I get stung once in a while by my hammer corals. Develops as a slightly red area where contact was, and is sensitive for a couple days, then goes away.

Vixen- I'm sure you'll be fine, and good idea to get yourself checked as a precaution.

I use this type bone cutter for fragging. Bone cutters have a sharp edge that meets on one side, and they do a great job of removing corals from frag plugs like you were doing, but no chance of stabbing yourself with them. I am sure you can get these from ARC Sponsors locally. The link is just for the picture.

a>

Just left the hospital I needed two stitches and will be on some special antibiotics they determined that a foreign body (either stinging cells or whatever is in the slime) went into the cut because the amount if swelling and horrible pain in my whole hand. So this hurts soon bad and it burns

maybe a dumb question but are palys and zoas the only coral that have palytoxin? do acans have their own toxic slime?

Glad you were able to get seen quickly - corals can inflict some serious damage in an open cut. Case & point - last week one of my rock flower anemones demonstrated the difference having a "weak" sting makes on intact skin (practically unnoticable) versus skin w/a papercut (much cursing).

I can't imagine how much getting some nematocysts embedded in deeper tissue must hurt. Hang in there and get well soon!

P.S. Other corals can and do have toxins (leathers & toadstools come to mind) but gram for gram zoas & palythoa can have much higher concentrations. Plus we tend to handle & make cuttings them most often so the opportunity for contact is greater.

-BGC... wincing from your description. I've never had the pleasure of combining it with my reefing hobby, but have picked up/used many a box cutter the wrong way. :roll:

BulkRate;975883 wrote: Glad you were able to get seen quickly - corals can inflict some serious damage in an open cut. Case & point - last week one of my rock flower anemones demonstrated the difference having a "weak" sting makes on intact skin (practically unnoticable) versus skin w/a papercut (much cursing).

I can't imagine how much getting some nematocysts embedded in deeper tissue must hurt. Hang in there and get well soon!

P.S. Other corals can and do have toxins (leathers & toadstools come to mind) but gram for gram zoas & palythoa can have much higher concentrations. Plus we tend to handle & make cuttings them most often so the opportunity for contact is greater.

-BGC... wincing from your description. I've never had the pleasure of combining it with my reefing hobby, but have picked up/used many a box cutter the wrong way. :roll:
Oh it hurts lol nce the numbness from the nerve block at the hospital wore off i was cursing alot yetserday... and i fainted at the pharmacy ( that was a first) lol. It is feeling better this morning the pain is more so just my finger rather than my whole hand.

Ouch! I hope it heals soon. Don't know about other corals having palytoxin but they have stinging cells and as we all know there is so much bacteria living within our tanks. You made a wise decision to go to the hospital, just keep an eye on it. Hope it heals fast. :)

Jeez sounds like you got yourself good! Don't ya hate going to ER?
It's a good thing to keep a record of when you get a tetanus shots. Much easier when your at the Dr for a check up or other illness and your close to 9 years to go ahead and get it before you "have" to make that special trip.
I learned the hard way spending the night at the ER.
Is it feeling better today?

Camellia;976345 wrote: Jeez sounds like you got yourself good! Don't ya hate going to ER?
It's a good thing to keep a record of when you get a tetanus shots. Much easier when your at the Dr for a check up or other illness and your close to 9 years to go ahead and get it before you "have" to make that special trip.
I learned the hard way spending the night at the ER too!
Is it feeling better today?
Lol gotta love the faces you get from the doctors and nurses when explaining what happened coral cutting what lol hope your feeling better

jrhunter0000;976346 wrote: Lol gotta love the faces you get from the doctors and nurses when explaining what happened coral cutting what lol hope your feeling better

Oh yea, every one was looking at me like i was talking in a different language lol.

SaltyVixen;976349 wrote: Oh yea, every one was looking at me like i was talking in a different language lol.

Is it better today?

Brandon, you only need a tetanus shot every 10 years lol

Back