Just picked up my new skimmer!

jaustin

Market
Reaction score
Just bought a Octapus Extreem 160 for my 65g mixed reef tank. I'll let you all know how it works out for me. Now it's running on the stock impeller that came with it, later on i'll switch to the mesh wheel and get some more bubbles out of it.

Here are some pics.

100_3420.jpg
alt="" />
100_3421.jpg
alt="" />
100_3422.jpg
alt="" />
100_3423.jpg
alt="" />
100_3424.jpg
alt="" />
100_3425.jpg
alt="" />
100_3426.jpg
alt="" />

good skimmer, but do change it to mesh impeller you will get lot more air with it

would you change it right away?

Very nice. I really like these.

Thanks, i've spent the last couple months researching skimmers and trying to get the best bang for my buck. What sold me on this skimmer is the bubble plate, small footpring and pupm placement, and the pump. It's the same brand pump that is used on Bubble King skimmers. Can't go wrong there!

Really what should be impressing people is the SCFH of air the pump pulls. It's INSANE! The mesh is a nice piece to add to the pump right away but please make sure you do "power outage" tests with it to make sure it starts up. Jin had an issue with his no starting on its own. This typically is an issue with mesh mods due to access weight. You can contact where you got it from and I think they will send another one out to you. At any rate, they are amazing skimmers, this thing will ROCK your tank!

Oh another thing you may want to do as a lot of people are doing this....where the airline comes up from under the skimmer...the black base plate...people drill a hole there and run the air tube thu it so it doesn't kink, this will hinder the air intake a little. Just a suggestion :)

Really what should be impressing people is the SCFH of air the pump pulls. It's INSANE! The mesh is a nice piece to add to the pump right away but please make sure you do "power outage" tests with it to make sure it starts up. Jin had an issue with his no starting on its own. This typically is an issue with mesh mods due to access weight. You can contact where you got it from and I think they will send another one out to you. At any rate, they are amazing skimmers, this thing will ROCK your tank!

Yeah i'll turn off the skimmer and restart it to make sure it can kick back on with the mesh mod. I'll have to try that when i get home today. I woke up this morning and there was a nice stack of foam already filling up my colum. There should be some nice skimmate waiting for me when I get home.

Wow, off topic but I like your new aquascape!

Thanks man! Both Tom and I drilled our rocks last weekend and pegged them with 3/8 driveway marker rod from HD. It was a PITA to drill through some of the rock but it's worth it. The left pillar of rocks needs to come farward some but other than that I love it!

Jason

I just got a similar SWC version that I will be setting up next week. THese skimmers are kewl..!

Put the mesh mod on there from the getgo. The mass of bubbles will blow u away :). You can skim dry if you want to remove less nutrients or even cut some of the mesh off if you have trouble skimming dry enough.

http://www.reefspecialty.com/">[QUOTE=]where did you order it from?[/QUOTE]

http://www.reefspecialty.com/</a>

I took the last one though.....sorry.

Update. It's almost all broken in. It's skimming a little dryer now. Here is a few days worth.

100_3435.jpg
alt="" />
100_3434.jpg
alt="" />
100_3436.jpg
alt="" />

and my skanky refuge.

100_3437.jpg
alt="" />

Back