Kalk or 2 part?

donniea1800

Market
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 50 gallon reef tank and I just started using BRS 2 part as my ALK and Calcium were were being depleted and water changes were not keeping up anymore. This is my first week and so far I am dosing 40ML of each. I will test after 3 days to see how my levels are doing.

I am figured out that my tank is losing 1.4DKH and 20PPM Calcium in a 24 hour period. I have also figured my top off to be about 1/2 gallon per day.

My question is do you think that dripping Kalk at night would be able to keep up with my demand? Or should I just stick with the 2 part? Would dripping kalk at night and dosing during the day be beneficial or overkill? I am trying to keep my Calcium at around 430-450 and my DKH at 9-11.

Thanks

You should be able to accomplish both of those things with just 2 part. I dose at night to avoid PH swings... I'm not the expert on this (yet!), but it seems that's a little on the higher end for your ALK target. 9 probably not so much, but I probably wouldn't be striving for 11.

Kalk is dirt cheap (pickling lime from Walmart) and does a fantastic job of increasing pH and adding stability to your system among other things so I would definitely use it.

Use Kalk and two part is what I would do.

Back